Topic

need help planning NZ and Oz Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion need help planning NZ and Oz Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Afternoon all,

I'm planning on spending some time in Oz and NZ starting in Oct thru the end of Jan.

My goal is to tramp and bushwalk thru both NZ islands, the west coast of Oz, if money and weather allows the Overland track in Tasmania.

At first I was planning on tramping NZ from Oct to the early Dec(mostly to avoid the summer crowds) head over to Cairns and the great barrier reef heading south until mid Jan or so and then over to Taz for the Overland track.

After looking at the weather for those times, NZ winter is just ending and some of the tracks might be under water or covered in snow.

In Dec and Jan the wet is happening in Oz (as far as the weather history shows) hence the rainforest, so I'm not going to think about not getting wet, but what about lounging on the beach or snorkeling (the stingers are an issue).

What about Tasmania in late Jan or early Feb for the overland track.

Am I way off base with this? I'm now thinking about Oz and Taz then over to NZ, is anyone able to follow me? Your thoughts are much needed!

Thanks Joel

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Joel,

With the Overland Track, John Chapmans site has some vey good information http://www.john.chapman.name/tas-over.html

His site also has some good information about the weather http://www.john.chapman.name/tas-crw.html Jan Feb is a good time weather wise to visit Tasmania but it can poor rain/snow at any time of the year down there.

For some more information, the Bushwalk Australia forum http://bushwalk.com/forum/index.php?sid=329ef21ed3027e43d62221d6769a0884 is Tasmanian based and there are many members that can help you.

Tony

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Thanks Tony,

I think you might be the one who turned me on to thet site. I've posted the same post overtheir.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Joel,

No Problems, I have just arrived back from 9 days in Tasmania, I did the stunningly beautiful Bay of Fires walk in NE Tasmania and then spent a few days being a tourist down in Hobart.

If you have some spare time I can highly recommend the Tasman Island Cruise (red boat) out of Port Arthur, the best boat trip I have ever done.

Tony

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Tony can you post a trip report when you get time, the overland track might be to crowded in Nov for my likings.

And John's site is a good one!

So you opted for the cruise ship instead of airlines? Why and how long did it take? What was the cost?

Bushwalk.com, great resorce, many thanks!

Joel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools