Topic

Expert sources on orienteering?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Expert sources on orienteering?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'm pretty good at navigating off trail with a map and compass already, can plot points and take and follow bearings with reasonable accuracy, and like many folks who have learned by doing am better than any of the aforementioned at visualizing map features and reading micro-terrain. Prompted by doing an adventure race this past weekend, I'd like to improve the exactitude of my orienteering. My partner and I used altimeter watches and the aforementioned skills to good effect, but a friend with a background doing transects for the USFS was able to follow bearings to some very difficult checkpoints with impressive accuracy. I'd like to get that good.

Any suggestions for online sources, books and courses that go beyond the basics would be appreciated.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

The classic book would be Be Expert with Map & Compass, by Bjorn Kjellstrom. Don't know if you need something more advanced. You could enlist in the military, that's where I learned :)

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

David, I don't have any sources to the "secrets" of advance orienteering but a good way to practice with out having to travel far is to look into a local Orienteering Clubs events. There are several in the PNW and they seem to have some kind of event weekly, somewhere. The local in this area has an adventure style race at a local park (wooded) once a month and you can walk or run it, either way it will help you improve your skills.
    They might also be a resource for the "secrets" that the advanced guys have.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

http://orienteeringusa.org/

Would suggest David Seidman's book The Essential Wilderness Navigator as well. Bjorn's book was written 40+ years ago and does not touch upon GPS for instance.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Good idea Ted, and thanks for the book recs, though I am looking for something (be it book or otherwise) beyond Bjorn's work (which I read as a Boy Scout).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools