Topic

Do I really need a Waterproof Bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Do I really need a Waterproof Bivy?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

After doing quite a bit of reading on this Forum about the merits of a ultralight water resistant bivy paired up with a Tarp I am questioning the real need for a waterproof bivy. For those of you with experience with both, are their ever cases where you really prefer a waterproof bivy?

I am just getting started and for cost reasons have a GoLite Poncho Tarp and a Sierra Designs Baffin Bivy. Total paid combined $139. I plan to use exclusively in three seasons and I live in Colorado where the humidity isn't a big concern.

The ultra light water resistent bivies like the MLD Soul or MLD SuperLight are more $ than what I paid for the both Tarp and waterproof bivy combined. Just wondering how much better the water resistant bivy is and if that price premium is justified.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

The Pinon Bivy from Katabatic Gear seems to be one the least expensive well designed, ultra light examples I have found here http://katabaticgear.com/shop/pinon-bivy/

I am interested in any other suggestions.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

You may experience significant condensation in humid conditions. Let us know. Equinox makes an ultralight water resistant bivy for about $60. It's what I use, with a headnet, for three season backpacking.

http://www.equinoxltd.com/the-gear/sleeping-bags-and-liners/sprawler-ultralite-bivi.cfm

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Randy, I don't know if you are any good with a sewing machine, but you might consider sewing your own design out of a Momentum fabric, or something similar. Mine came out a little over 8 ounces.

–B.G.–

Sean Staplin
    BPL Member

@mtnrat

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies

I think you are going about it the right way. SInce you say you are just getting started, give your outfit a whirl in various conditions. See if you get condensation issues etc, and go from there.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Due to a mistake in my CC information on my Bivy order, my Amazon order for the Sierra Designs Baffin Bivy was cancelled. So I decided to go with the Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy instead which fits into the ultralight water resistant and not waterproof category of Bivy's.

Spent some time talking with Aaron (owner) and really appreciated the significant applied experience that is reflected in the designs of their equipment. It's a Silnylon floor with Pertex top with netting in the head area. The Bivy is 6.8oz. I am stoked to have a Bivy/Poncho Tarp combination under 16 oz.

There have already been some solid reviews on the Bristlecone but I will certainly provide feedback from my outings this summer. Thanks again for your posts. This is such a great community and website.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools