Topic

Tarp and Bivy?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David H
    Spectator

@amarony

Locale: South Dakota

Looking for some input on a basic shelter system. I'm planning on hiking the JMT this fall and will likely take a tarp that has been good to me in the past instead of a tent. In the past when I've tarped it I've never bothered with a bivy, but rather just set up on some Tyvek with my bag. In looking at a lot of gear lists here I see lots of people that have both a tarp and bivy. Any arguments for or against a bivy on the JMT starting Sept 1 assuming i'll have my tarp along?

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I'd bring at least a bug bivy under a tarp.

Oh the bugs, the bugs…

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

What kind of tarp are you bringing? I think that by the beginning of September there shouldn't be much of a bug problem….especially if you are smart about where you set up. I would be more cautious about those late summer thunder storms that can roll through. But…if you have a large enough tarp to offer full protection from the rain, I think you could manage with just the tarp.

Having said that…it has been a VERY heavy snow year, so there might be mosquitoes around later in the season than usual…

Brian Turner

@phreak

I hiked the JMT in September, 2008 (20 days) and there was never a need for a bivy. I cowboy camped every night. We experienced less than 2 hours of precipitation for the entire hike. I carried a 8oz tarp as an emergency shelter.

David H
    Spectator

@amarony

Locale: South Dakota

I'm leaning toward cowboy camping if possible. My tarp is a decent size. Had it for for at least 4 years, White Lightning I think but in any case it has been pretty good to me up to this point. I think I'll perhaps bring some head coverage for when I'm sleeping in case the bugs are bad, but otherwise use the tarp when the weather dictates and ditch the idea of a bivy. I'm shooting for 13-15 days so I'll not likely want to spend too much time setting up at night anyways.

Thanks for the opinions and questions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools