Topic

prolotherpy for injuries?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion prolotherpy for injuries?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sandy boyd
    Spectator

@sandylwes

Locale: eastern washington

Im looking in to prolotherapy for an alternative to knee meniscus transplant that two doctors have recommended….any one have any experience with this? Here is what one web site tells us about prolo…..

http://www.getprolo.com/get_prolotherapy_newsletter_how_prolotherapy_works.htm

Prolotherapy works on a very simple principle: injecting the prolotherapy solution at the sites of pain and weakness stimulates the body's own healing mechanism to repair and rebuild injured tissue into a stronger, more supportive, less painful tissue than it was before.

Any thoughts???? Sure sounds better than the 2 months down time after surgery…

Thanks
    [email protected]

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

This has been used in veterinary medicine as well as human medicine. Has its proponents, and its detractors as well. One is injecting a more or less inflammatory solution into the joint and causing a mild inflammation in the joint. This is to stimulate blood flow and increase circulation, bringing better nutrition and taking away damaged cellular products.

Bottom line, can be easily over done to a major inflammation, causing more problems than you had. Find someone who has done it over and over and over again, rather than someone trying the techinique out for the first time. Have seen horror stories, but then surgery isn't always 100% either.

You might want to investigate laser therapy—new in US but has been used in Europe for years. Go to http://www.k-laserusa.com, and look to see if there is anyone near you with a machine. Laser therapy will not cause any severe damage, so if it doesn't help you you are no worse off than before, unlike with injections in the knee of irritating substances.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"You might want to investigate laser therapy"

Another emerging therapy for ligament/tendon injuries is Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy. It is used for soft tissue which is poorly suppplied with blood vessels and thus slow to heal. The procedure is as follows: 1) Draw ~30 ml of the patient's blood; 2) Centrifuge it to concentrate the platelet rich plasma component to ~ 900% of normal concentration; 3) Inject the plasma into the injury site guided by ultrasound; 4) Patient stays inactive for 2 weeks and then slowly returns to normal activity as their condition permits. The hypothesis is that, in the presence of injured tissue, the platelets release growth factors that speed healing. Delivering a concentrated dose of them by injection makes up for the lack of blood supply in tendons and ligaments. The procedure is still in the early stages of acceptance and is not covered by most insurance. However, if you can afford $800 it may be worth considering if standard treatments have failed. That was my situation in 2010. After 9 months of trying everything short of surgery to cure quadriceps tendinitis, which had become chronic(tendinosis), I underwent the procedure. The shot is not exactly fun, but neither is it unbearable. Over the course of the next 5 months, I slowly mended and returned to training in the mountains, and was able to go in over Shepherd Pass in the southern Sierra for a 6 day trip in September, 2010. At the time of the trip, my tendon was at about 80% of normal capability, and has continued to improve since, to the point where it now almost back to 100%. I tend to believe it was due to the PRP therapy, although final proof of the therapy's effectiveness is not yet established. A number of rigorous studies are in progress that should resolve the issue in the next year or two. Meantime, if all else fails, what do you have to lose? Besides $800. ;-)

sandy boyd
    Spectator

@sandylwes

Locale: eastern washington

Actually I have an appoint monday and may get just normal prolotherapy, but also have the option of getting the platelette therapy too….
    Hope it helps and saves me from surgery!
    sandy

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Hope it helps and saves me from surgery!"

I hope so,too, Sandy. Surgery is the last resort. Best of luck.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools