Topic

Scalpers flipping Yosemite Reservations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Scalpers flipping Yosemite Reservations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    James Castleberry

@winterland76

Story in today's Sac Bee about yosemite reservations. Should have known. Really sad. Any suggestions?
    Scalpers Flipping Yosemite Reservations

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Any suggestions?"

Don't buy from scalpers.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

This is just the market correcting itself. :)

Ryan W

@mwilks

"Any suggestions? "

Avoid summer and embrace the off seasons!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I just finished that article! It blows me away.

+1 for not buying from scalpers.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Sports events have the same problem

Sometimes there are counterfeit tickets sold to complicate things

In the Enchantments, they have a lottery system, there's an extended period to submit requests and then they choose winners. That would fix part of the Yosemite problem.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The solution is to stay just outside the park boundary. No fee. No reservations.

–B.G.–

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

The guy in that article said he goes on Craigslist and flags people selling Yosemite reservations. If you guys want to do the same, here's a search that pulls up nationwide results.

Yosemite search

Sorry for the tinyurl link. I hate doing that. It's my first time. The Searchtempest.com link is too long or complicated for the BPL website software to work with.

Scott Gustafson

@scott_gus

Locale: Northern California

I've never done half dome and now I do not want to.. to many people, to crowded. I want to be where they are never going to go. I flagged a few last night after a friend told me he saw them listed for as high as $75.

Scott

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Respond to the ads. Get their contact information. Share it. Flag the Ads.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Cameron. That's a good idea. Waste their time. Make it such a hassle that they give it up.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Why don't they make them non-transferable?

The park gets the money even if the party doesn't show up. Then there would be a few less people to wade through and the park gets paid. Win/ win

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Why not just make all of Yosemite a designated wilderness area? We could even tear out all the asphalt roads :)

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

yosemite valley is hardy the untouched unmolested wilderness that it might once an extremely long time ago have been. they just recently took out the hydro electric plant (and did a pretty slick job of it too. and it cost god knows what to do it that way)
    and the reason You want, really truly want, roads and campsites with showers and pottys, and a better bar, and perhaps even bring back the gas station is this.

we are old.
    we are few.
    we are wearing out.

there's nothing of note behind us, just a soggy batch of softass loosers who are led by the nose from one outrage to another.
    and if no young children wake up in yosemite valley on a cold morning and eat crappy half-cooked pancakes from a coleman stove while their parents bithc at each other, how they going to learn to fall in love with the wilderness ? how ? eh ? how ?
    because their parents/grandparents take them ultaralight backpacking ?
    give me a break.
    it ain;t happens often.
    we need to make some places accessable to normal people to the little ones can partake of the greatness of it all.
    the valley was trashed a century ago. it's not going to be the same. ever.
    (and for one it will never be the same because i rode my dirt bike in their merced river.)
    but FANTASTIC use can be made of it as a way to enlighten others on the wonders of the outdoors.

and that is why you/we want people camping and being fat and walking and bicyle'ing and strolling and looking at the rocks, and eating slurpies (and terrible pizzas), and meeting people form ALL over the world in the lounge at camp curry on rainy days, and freezing in the phitty tent cabins and generally being the slovenly goons like people are .. in yosemite valley.
    so we will have enough sentient caring bodies later on to know the difference between a good hydro project, and one that could, but perhaps should, not be built.

you toss folks and kids out of yosemite … you're eating your seed corn.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Peter, you seem sad.

You should go see a movie, like "Atlas Shrugged".

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

the tickets are for the weekends? right ?
    go on a weekday anyway to avoid the crowd (which can be kinda fun actually).

you will find a bit late in the season and on a weekday, that halfdome is a rather nice adventure.

start EARLY.

bring foods.

and a filter is you care to.

do not fall into that insensitive morass of pumping water at the top of the second falls on a blisteringly hot saturday afternoon so you can hit on new zealand co-eds. because it's just crass… and it's tacky.

i'm simply doing my best to warn you that there are less than fully scrupulous individuals out there, and that they may try and "lead" you into something not particularly wholesome.

v.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Peter,

Nope, the permits are required seven days a week.

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/hdpermits.htm

Then there's this:

NOTE: This hiking permit is transferable, but cannot be resold or auctioned.
    Resale of this permit is a violation of Title 36, Code of Federal Regulations, section 1.6. You are allowed to give this permit to anyone else, but each permit can only be used once.

http://www.recreation.gov/permits/Cables_On_Half_Dome_Yosemite_National_Park/r/wildernessAreaDetails.do?page=detail&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=79064&topTabIndex=Permits

They'll have to deal with the reselling, hard to guess how, without knowing how the current system is designed and managed.

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. I doubt the cables will be up by the scheduled date.
    p.p.s. Something wrong with Kiwi coeds?

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

IMHO everyone should get info from the scalpers and report them and or make a charge against them. Unfortunately I have to do this at home with people who trespass or will not clean up after their dogs. I have a dog and clean up after her.

Jason Torres
    BPL Member

@burytherails

Locale: Texas

Peter,

As Rick has posted, permits are now needed 7 days a week. This changed last year. My fiance and I did half dome in Nov 09 on a Tuesday – no permit necessary. Probably a change for good since even on a Tuesday the trail was jammed on the way down. Winter hiking is tops.

+1 for not buying from scalpers.

Safe travels,

Jason

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools