Topic

Droid Users

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Droid Users

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Just purchased a Droid the other day and I have been browsing Apps…..But really I have a couple of questions here.

Firstly, do you use your droid as a backpacking tool, and if so how?
    What Apps are out there that are hiking specific. Thanks in advance!

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"Firstly, do you use your droid as a backpacking tool, and if so how?"

No. Its batteries don't last long enough to use for backpacking. I'll use the GPS tracking for short dayhikes but that's about all.

"What Apps are out there that are hiking specific. Thanks in advance!"

I get virtually all I need out of Google's MyTracks. There are probably some more featureful apps out there, but I wouldn't use them anyway (see above).

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Backcountry navigator

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I use a my Droid X with Backcountry Navigator. You can find decent solar chargers on ebay for around $20, and OEM batteries for $8. It's no big deal to me to carry 5 extra batteries and hang a solar charger off my pack while I hike during the day. It's an awesome tool that can really enhance your hiking experience. I even found a 4 ounce altec lansing speaker that pumps out pretty good sound off of 3 aaa batteries. I know some people see music in the backcountry as somehow tainting the experience, but I believe it has it's time and place.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Firstly I have one of those cheapo Ebay chargers and they work very well!!

Backcountry Navigator? Is it in the App Store??? Checking now!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

guys thanks for the heads up on the App….I just downloaded the free version to try out and see how this thing works. Appreciate it!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi,

I am using a HRC Desire with 2 spare batteries, I use it for GPS Mapping (View Ranger) E books (Amazon kiindle app) and music.

cheers,

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

How do these apps work when you are off the cell grid? Can they pre-load maps (topos)?

I'd think my Droid X would run down too fast unless I kept it in airplane mode, and then periodically turned on GPS to gain a location. The problem with using the regular map application to do that is that it expects handshakes and data loads from the cell network.

(This is perhaps something I could glean from the apps pages, but I'm hoping someone can just give me a "works great.")

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I put in a 3x battery. I can go days if I use the "NoBars" app and make a point of using "airplane mode" a lot.

My phone replaced my watch, GPS, camera, mp3 player, books(e-book reader, kindle software, etc…), playing cards, …

The extra battery adds a couple ounces, but in the end saved me ounces by replacing a lot of other stuff.

There are lots of navigation/GPS apps to play with.

Although I don't rely on GPS and maps on the device, they can come in handy for various reasons. It can confirm your location should you get off the trail, help find alternate routes and help locate resupply and water locations.

Of course, I don't become dependent on the device, but it's comes in handy.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

X3 battery? Please explain.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

There are a few 3rd party companies that make larger batteries. My battery has three time the current capacity of the stock battery.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I say it woudl refer to 3 batteries carried.

The View Ranger App does cache maps.

John Jensen

@johnj

Locale: Orange County, CA

Do you run View Ranger's regular, or premium, maps?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I have a whole suite of apps that I use with my Droid Incredible for dayhikes. The key to using Droid phones for hiking pursuits is to be sure to put the phone into "airplane mode" when you leave cell range. This still allows the GPS to work and will allow the battery to last MUCH MUCH longer.

I personally prefer the EveryTrail Pro app (free version available for testing) as it integrates well with it's great trip-sharing website, allows me to download topo maps for navigation (if necessary), tracks my progress well (battery lasts around 6 to 8 hours), and integrates with my geo-tagged photos on Flickr.

Justin Reigle
    BPL Member

@jreigle

Locale: SF Bay area

Gaia GPS can do this. There is a free version and a $10 version. It can download USGS topo tiles to SD card for use offline. When you're out of range, it will use these stored tiles to place you on the map using the GPS. The free version is limited in the amount of tiles it will store for a given area.

FWIW, I've only used it once in the field and it did place me accurately.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Backcountry navigator is made to download maps for off grip use. They are pretty amazingly detailed showing some trails, mud sections in canals and other things.

I use it to record my tracks too. Also shows altitude and compass of course. Can export the tracks for import into google maps.
    I also have knotsguide, mushroom id app and us army survival guide on the phone. I got the defy which is also water/shock resistant.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm new to the Droid, so far I'm digging the Endomondo app, pretty slick mulisport app for trail running and hiking.

I just downloaded Backcountry Navigator demo version and downloaded 4 quads worth of topo onto my phone for an upcoming trip late May- I'm very impressed with the app even for reference if anything.

Honestly, I didn't think I'd enjoy these swanky smartphones as much as I have so far, always scoffed at them in the past.

@ Steven,

Are these 3rd party batteries reliable? Void warranty? Where did you purchase yours?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Hi U,

There are a few companies that make replacement batteries. They don't void the warranty as the phones are designed so that batteries can be removed and swapped.

This company is one of the many that come to mind:
    Seidio

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools