Topic

Need advice on downmat leak detection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need advice on downmat leak detection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I even submerged it in a pool and still can't find the leak (yes, that runs the risk of introducing water into the mat, but I'm desperate).

Anybody else had this trouble?

I can't get through a night without going nearly flat on it, so the hole or holes must be very small. I guess I inflated or deflated it over something very sharp.

Of course, I'm past the warranty period!

gavin wenyon

@gavin123

Try a spray bottle with soapy water and cover the whole bottem of the mat. It should start bubbling when you put some pressure on the mat.

This method worked great for an REI used sale thermarest.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

your valve might be done. If there was a hole in the part where the down is contained, then down would be everywhere. Warranty it. Exped has 5 years.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

"What is the warranty for Exped products?

Exped UL sleeping mats carry a 2 year limited warranty. All other products carry a 5 year warranty on defects in materials and workmanship. At our discretion, Exped will repair or replace any part that fails due to a manufacturing defect. Failures due to normal wear, negligence, and acts of nature can usually be repaired for a nominal charge."

I'll try the soapy water and check the valve, too.

Richard Barish

@rdbarish

Locale: New Mexico

I'm not sure that the downmat is a "UL sleeping mat." There is the new "Synmat UL 7," but "UL" does not appear in the name of the downmat that I have noticed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools