Topic

25″ wide Neoair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 25″ wide Neoair

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Has anyone cut down a 25" wide Neoair to around 50" in lenght yet? If so, how was the outcome and the weight?

Cesar Garcia
    BPL Member

@crgowo

Locale: Desert SW

Click on the link to view one of the members that has cut his neoair
    http://www.suluk46.com/videos.html

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Thanks, I know they can be cut, just wondering if anyone has cut the 25" wide pad yet and at what length, weight.

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

The large neoair is listed at 77" long and weighing 19oz. If you divide that into 4, then you would lose 4.75oz off the total weight with every 19.25" that you take off. So if you cut it down to 57.75" it would weigh 14.25oz. Without making the math any harder, I would say if you cut those last 7.75" to get down to 50" it would be around 12.5oz I would think. Anyways, i'm sure you can probably do the math quicker than I can, but as far as cutting up a $170 piece of equipment, I wouldn't risk it.

Jim York

@jimbawb

Locale: PNW

Just make sure you buy it at REI so you can take it back if you mess it up ;) *ducks*

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Not sure why it's not more popular – folks have been asking for this size for years – but the NeoAir Trekker L/T is 25" wide and around 48" long. Cheaper, tougher, just as small packing. I picked one up a few weeks ago with my dividend and it weighs 14.6 ounces. I thought it would be a hot forum item on backpacking sites but there's almost nothing. I'd go that route before hacking a full size NeoAir any day. Not worth the potential 1-2 ounce savings IMO.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Great input, give me some referance. Thanks

Michael Oppegaard

@mike_o

Locale: Coastal NC

I have been thinking hard about the same thing. Let us know how it turns out.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Yup.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=23447&skip_to_post=189849#189849

59" & 14.25 oz.

If you took it down to 48" you could save ~2 oz IIRC. Honestly, probably best to just get the NeoAir Trekker LT. Mine still works fine, but not much point now that there's a factory-warrantied version available within 2 oz or so.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I'll stick with my large Neo at 17.4 oz. 78"x25" when I have to sleep on the ground.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

I have one and love it, cost less than your idea, is warrantied and similar weight (and tougher fabric and doesnt krinkle)

Jesse H.
    BPL Member

@tacedeous

Locale: East Bay, CA

+1

I love the new trekker, not sure why there isn't more talk about it…

Plus I'm sure I can float on that bad boy!

David Hunter

@lime950

Other than weight, another difference between the new Trekker and the NeoAir is "R" value, with the nod going to the Neo with a higher rating. I believe that Thermarest has an even newer pad out, the NeoAir All-Season, which has an"R" value of 4.9, but are heavier at about 5oz for the size Regular over the yellow NeoAir. Interestingly, this means that the Trekker remains the heaviest of them all, albeit at a lower price point. Lots of options, but still hoping for a NeoAir 25 x 47 pad!

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/trek-and-travel/neoair-all-season/product

David Hunter

@lime950

Oh… The NeoAir All-Season also includes a pump sack and repair kit. Looks like Exped has put the fear into Thermarest? Competition is always good for the consumer! :)

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I slept on the Neoair Trekker 25×48 last night for the first time.
    It was perfect. All my sore joints felt good and it is wide enough that all my upper body fits on it.

I realize that I'm going to need to add a closed cell foam pad for cold weather, but for less than 1 lb., adding some additional insulation is still good and light.

Peter Griffith
    BPL Member

@litesmith

Locale: Litesmith.com

John Abela cut down a 25" wide Neo Air to 48" long and got 10.85 oz. See here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/44844/index.html?skip_to_post=411310#411310

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools