Topic

Summerlite alternative

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Summerlite alternative

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I'm looking for a 3-season bag for the Adirondacks. The WM Summerlite (32 degree) would probably be perfect for me. It's light, at 19 oz, and obviously excellent quality. You'd have an easier time try to find life on Mars than finding a WM bag on sale. The Summerlite sells for $315.

Any other bags, similar in cold rating and weight, that would be less expensive?

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

The mountain hardwear phantom 45 fits your needs perfect 32en rating 17ounces 250$ retail but can be found for less i love mine best bag I could find for the price

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

I think you quoting the EN lower limit spec as if it were the comfort rating is as misleading as the arbitrary ratings many manufacturers slap on their bags. If you want to be closer to apples to apples, the MH phantom 32 is the bag to look at, but even it only has an EN comfort rating of 37 deg.

The WM bag is pricey, but you'll be very hard pressed to find someone who has one and doesn't love it, it seems. Most people state that their ratings tend to be conservative too.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

The comfort is for women the lower is the en test for a male with a body weight of 180lbs it is the comfort level for men from the en search it and read up on the testing the lower is the men comfort for women and I also know from personel experience that the phantom 45 is warm to 32 and I only weigh 140 and am a average sleeper not cold or warm

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

The fill weights are similar too 8ounces of 800in the phantom 9of 850 in the wm they are both great bags and you will be happy with both if money was no problem I may have bout a summerlight but money was a issue and you can regularly find the phantom for 200 or less for the price I couldn't fine anything better read reviews for the phantom almost all of them say the bag is comfortable to low thirties but yet again there both great bags along with others just listing some options

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How about prowling gear swap and finding the bag used or post a WTB for it? There was a regular left zip Summerlite up for grabs just last Friday for $230 with only a few nights on it.

Other options – you willing to try a quilt or you want to stick with a mummy bag? Either way, are you trying to stay close to the weight of the Summerlite and what are you hoping to pay?

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Are you a member of REI by any chance? They've been sending out their 20% off coupon along with dividends recently.

REI doesn't carry WM bags, but we've got a great Moosejaw here in East Lansing that does, and is very big on price matching. A few years ago, I had received my annual REI 20% off any one item coupon and I asked Moosejaw if they would honor it. They said "Of course". So I ended up getting the summerlite from them at 20% off, no questions asked.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

"I think you quoting the EN lower limit spec as if it were the comfort rating is as misleading as the arbitrary ratings many manufacturers slap on their bags. If you want to be closer to apples to apples, the MH phantom 32 is the bag to look at, but even it only has an EN comfort rating of 37 deg."

the MH phantom 32 is en-rated to 28F for men

the summerlite is en-rated to around 35F for men

credible manufacturers will have the en-testing certificate and have the test performed at an independent laboratory … now en-testing is not perfect … but its a darn sight better than manuf making up ratings, rating their bag at the extremes, measuring the loft or just adding up the down … its an actual test

you can buy the phantom for ~210$

http://www.spadout.com/p/mountain-hardwear-phantom-32-sleeping-bag/

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Thank you Eric I tried to explain that by the en rating for men the phantom 45 and summerlight are the ones he should compare as the 45 is en rated at 32 but both Are great bags but the op is asking for cheaper alternatives and the phantom series is the best lower price alternative I can find

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Eric,

GREAT post… I admire the way that you candidly address many of the politically sensitive topics on BPL. Even though you are a little rough on the Yuppies, keep up the good work (smile).

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

@wiiawiwb

Have a good look at the WM Highlite also. It is a bit less oz, a bit less $, and a bit less warmth, but quite a nice bag. I find that I use it more than any other.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Buyer beware when comparing Mountain Hardwear sleeping bags to Western Mountaineering bags. That is apples and oranges, IMHO.

I once had a MH Phantom 32 bag from REI but after I got it home and saw the poor loft I returned it and got a WM Megalite for REAL loft.

Yes, the Megalite was $100. more but it's going on 4 summers now (and 2 autumn seasons) and it still has the same great loft. Ya get what ya pay for.

P.S. I just remembered thet Campmor has a nice summer weight down bag. Only 600 fill likely but still a good value and ENOUGH loft.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Eric don't you think you are jumping to conclusions howany year ago was it when you got your phantom 5? Things change almost yearly I'm sure you know that yes I agree the op should do research for himself and make his own choice but look at current reviews for the phantom series people have nothing but good things to say about them and they are commonly compared in the same boat as phd wm and many other bags with a much bigger price tag like I said if money was no issue wm is a amazing top of the line company but obviously money is a issue that's why he asked for a cheaper alternative and the phantom fits that perfectly

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I disagree Eric. I have owned 3 WM bags and do consider them to be the "gold standard" when it comes to sleeping bags. I also own a MH Phanotm 0 and it is a very lofty (7.5 inches), very warm bag.

I was talking with a triple crowner the other day that owns both a Summerlite and a MH Phantom 32 and he said he preferred the Phantom because it was a tad warmer. I would never discourage anyone from buying a WM bag, as they are top notch and made in the USA, but the MH Phantom series (and others like the Marmot Hydrogen) are nice bags too.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Guys, I may have gotten a poor example of a Phantom 32 but with only a 2 F. difference in the two bags' ratings the difference in loft was astounding.

I'm glad to see others' experience with MH is good. I have a MH -20 F. synthetic (Polarguard Delta) bag that is fine. Their down bags though, at least in my
    observation, have lacked the loft of other sililarly rated down bags. Just sayin'…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I had a summerlite, very well constructed bag, but found it too constricting- sold it and went w/ a Marmot Hydrogen- the cut was much better for my build.

I've seen several summerlite's for sale for the exact same reason- just something to be aware of

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

I sold my Helium for a Versa Lite..

GREAT decision !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

terrance guidetti

@baloo

Locale: calif

I considered the summerlite, but the bag was too confining for my shoulders. I went with the Montbell ul super spiral # 3. 1 lb. 6oz. The footbox of this bag could be improved, but the stretchiness and the materials are incredibly comfortable for a restless side sleeper. I am a slightly cold sleeper and always wear extra insulation below 35 degrees.

James Moughan

@jamougha

Isn't the phantom 32 en rated to about 38F? I seem to remember the 32 and 45 being the wrong way around.

Another anomaly is the WM Highlight, en rated to 32 iirc.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

according to their site the MH 32 is en comfort rated to 37, the 45 en comfort rated to 41

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

folks …

some basics …

the number you want to look at is the lower limit … or comfort temp for men as is also called … the MH Phantom 32 is LL comfort for MEN down to 28 F … for women you look at the "comfort" this is 37F for the phantom 32 …

so in short the phantom 32 is a 28F bag for men

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Phantomâ„¢-32-(Regular)/OU8440_R,default,pd.html

the MH phantom 45 is LL comfort rated for men to 32 F and 41 F for women

youre comparing kiwis to kumquats … you need to compare apples to apples

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

I guess there blinded by the price tag on there Lol jk so much that they don't Evan know how to interpret a en rating i will say this yet again since some
    Don't get it en lower is the comfort for men the comfort rating is for women as we know women sleep colder

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

I want to thank everyone for their help. I decided to get the WM Caribou. A few ounce penalty when compared to the Summerlite but it is roomier. In the end, that was the deciding factor.

I got one that was for sale on the Gear Swap!

Eric Palumbo

@palumbo

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Love my Caribou. I'm sure you will too.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools