Topic

Lighter Closed Cell Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lighter Closed Cell Pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I recently bought a couple of these closed cell pads:

foampad

At 2.8 ounces they are about 25% lighter than my same sized blue foam pad. It is an easy way to save an ounce or two.

They lay nicely when opened. My rolled pad wants to roll back up when I first lay it down.

Haven't used them in the field yet.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I bought a selection last year and have been very happy with them. They can tear if you are not careful (esp the 3/8").

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Nick,

Did you find the 3/8 tearing easily because it had been scored for folding?

Daryl

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I ordered a 1/8 x 24" x 72" from Steve about 6 weeks ago when I realized it's as light or lighter than a polycro groundsheet. Liked it so much I re-ordered a wider piece and might try to see if I can turn up the corners to add a little bath-tub effect.

I tore a small @ 3/4" tear in mine before I realized it was subject to tears when pulled hard ( stuffed something next to it in the pack and crammed too hard ) but it's not that fragile; & that tear didn't spread/run. I figured the 1/8 will make a nice barrier against puncture from small prickly stuff for an inflatable pad plus a little warmth and cushioning. So far so good but the thing is not going to stand up to but so much use before needing to be replaced…….but it's also not that expensive.

Richard Nisley tested a piece submitted by David Oware but I don't think the thickness was specified. Pegged at 3515

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=45026&startat=40

Thanks for the tip about the 1/2 " for a framesheet/sit-pad. I'd missed that and it looks interesting.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Just went out to the garage to see exactly what I bought:

1/8" X 25" X 74" – 2.2 oz Padded Ground sheet
    1/2" X 19" X 44 " – 3.5oz Pack Frame Pad

Both are great and I have used them in combo, alone, and with other pads depending on the trip. Have used the 1/8" as a ground sheet too. I like them, but they are somewhat fragile. Edges can tear kind of easy if you are not careful. Small stones can actually penetrate and tear the material. Has not been a problem, but something that should be considered.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Oware CCF I tested was 1/8" thick.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Steve Evans of Suluk46 sent me an e-mail saying that he had his Plastizote pads specially formulated for lightness and that they are the lightest on the market.

So the Oware HH test results may or may not be applicable to the Suluk46 pads.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

So likely not the same as David Owares sample but the stuff isn't taking on water though it does resemble a sponge; very light. I was surprised at the nature of the material when I first received it and submerged my pad over-night and then took it out, shook it out, lightly patted it dry and weighed it. No weight gain. Not as scientific as Nisley's test but It didn't take on water.

Seen any specs on the R value?

It does seem to kind of mold to the shape of objects it is pressed against like a much much stiffer version the old ensolite, more like the softer blue foam. Overtime it might take on a shape? Like where your hips rest for example?

Steve probably has the most experience..Eh?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey guys. I'm WAY behind on my BPL postings these days, so my apologies.

Pads: Less durable than others, however I wouldn't consider them "fragile"…in return for caring for it, you get the ultra low weight. That said, I have used mine for many, many trips and they hold well. It is the lightest pad per volume out there, if I could get them lighter, believe me, I would! :)

I'm still using my 1/2" PF Sheet (sold out for some time now) from a couple of years ago. Looks beat up but I have no plan to replace it as of yet.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Any plans to get more of those 1/2" PF pads?

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

This is a really interesting pad! In what temperatures do you guys use this pad? I use a ridgerest but even at 9oz i would like it be something less than 7 or 6 but would be concerned about warmth. I guess for the 1/2 and 3/8 versions.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Any plans to get more of those 1/2" PF pads?

I think I will have them by end of May/Start of June. I was trying to move out the old stock that wasn't selling well – they take up too much space in my shop.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools