Topic

Android users – can you make and elevation profile map with your Droid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Android users – can you make and elevation profile map with your Droid?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I recently got a Droid, and have loved using Backcountry Navigator on recent trips. I was wondering if there was a way to utilize its GPS to create an elevation profile map of trips.

Also, anyone using Trimble Outdoors? Is there any reason to have this if I am already using BC Navigator?

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Most tracking apps can output/export to a gpx file (backcountry nav included). You can use the GPSVisualizer website to create png or jpg elevation profiles from .gpx files.

Although, I have not done this specifically (I use my online running log website which does this automatically), I have use GPSVisualizer for a number of file format conversions with great success.

On the app, I've never tried any consumer Trimble stuff.

Kevin Caron
    BPL Member

@asterias

Locale: quebec

topofusion is the BEST program to have with a gps!

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Could you elaborate on what you mean? Do you want to create a topographic map/elevation profile using the elevation gathered by the GPS receiver on your phone? Or, do you just want to view the elevation profile of a trip/hike?

If you want to do the latter, the answer is yes. You can record the GPS coordinates of a hike, either continually, or at set intervals with various apps. There are ways to correlate that data with ground elevation on topographic map servers and thereby get an elevation profile.

If you want to do the former, the answer is no. The GPS receivers on consumer devices, especially those on phones, don't provide the most accurate elevation information. We're talking about +/- 10-20 m in good conditions; you can hit 100+ m in poor conditions.

There are devices which can provide more accurate elevation, but I don't know of any phones which do. Do you have a Motorola Droid or, do you have another model and just mean you recently got an Android phone? You could try googling the model name of your phone and " waas" – there's an OK chance someone has asked it on a phone, GPS, or geocaching forum.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools