Topic

MEC MERLIN -3 and -10 on Clearance at MEC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MEC MERLIN -3 and -10 on Clearance at MEC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Just thought I would let people know that the MEC Merlin -3C and -10C on on clearance right now at MEC. These bags to have some flaws. They come in slightly overweight and there are no zipper stiffeners or draft tube but the price right now is a pretty good deal 170 for the minus 3C and 230 for the -10 C.

The new versions that are coming out fix these flaws but are also regular price. I picked up one of the -3 ones. At 720g for the long plus an ounce or two it is a pretty good value.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Those prices are a good deal, although I generally think it's worth saving a bit more to get something better, rather than settling for a mediocre product. My wife has the -10C Merlin and she loves it because it's warm, but I've been wishing we had waited and got the -12 C rated Western Mountaineering Versalite instead.

As you mention, these bags come in overweight (in our case spec: 980g, actual weight 1045g), the zipper is extremely easy to snag so you'll always be dealing with this, and the quality of the down does not seem like the claimed 800fp. Compared to other 800fp products I own, the -10 C Merlin bag feels less compressible and appears to have quite a bit more feathers. There's frequently feathers with quite large stems poking through which I never get with my 800fp GoLite quilt.

So the -10 C Merlin is cheap, but the WM Versalite is nearly half a pound lighter (850g vs. 1045g) for a warmer (-12 C) bag and it's constructed much nicer with lighter shell fabrics and much better zip. Even at the sale price, I'd rather save up another $170 and get the WM bag.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Its definately a value propisiton question and really depends on where you are at in assembling you kit. I had been thinking about the WM bags vs the Merlins at regular price the -3 and the Summerlite for quite a while. This discount pushed me into the Merlin because for that other $170 I am halfway to a tent or I could get a lighter pack. I couldn't get a new pack before because the sleeping bag was consuming too much weight and room. So this way for the same amount of money I am able to upgrade 2 pieces of gear.

Now 5 years from now when I need a new bag it might have been better to buy the more expensive bag first and waitt to buy other gear but then I am carrying around extra weight for however long that time is. At 65 cents a gram $18.50 an ounce I can use that money to save more ounces in other places for quite a while.

I definately agree with your ascertion that the WM bags are a superior product. But I think their is good value to be had in the MEC bags at this price.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools