Topic

Around town insulation piece

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Around town insulation piece

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Do you use the same insulation around town as you carry in the backcountry? I don't and used to own an EMS primaloft jacket that I liked. It was stolen, as well as $700 of other travel items, last week near the Santa Barbara Campground south of Taos, NM. My three buddies had more stuff than I did I think.

So, what do you like for around town insulation? Thanks.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Being a dork and a cheapskate, I generally do. I wear my Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover and FA Downlight around town and on trail. For temps between 30-50 F, I'll just wear an Arc'teryx Gamma AR jacket ($80 on geartrade- ha!) that is too heavy for backpacking but does get a lot of use around town and on the 3-5 day hikes I'll take a week.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My travel, hiking and around town apparel are pretty much one and the same. If wicking, quick-drying and no ironing fabrics are comfy and convenient to wear while on the trail, then why not also on the road and around town?

I dislike clothing with the exaggerated outdoorsy look — 17 pockets and such — so I choose simple styling in basic, easy-to-match colors. The same clothing — including the insulation piece — can be worn to all but the most formal of occasions.

I also dislike labels — but unfortunately — this one has gotten harder to avoid. Sigh.

But to answer your question specifically, I have both the Montbell UL Down Inner and the Thermawrap jackets in charcoal color. The logo is there, unfortunately, but hey, the jackets are comfy as heck and so I try to overlook the logo shortcoming. Finally, on cool but not too windy days, I may wear my Cabela's fleece jacket.

Mark Cashmere
    BPL Member

@tinkrtoy

Locale: NEOH

I picked up a Golite Pinyon Ridge Parka this winter to fill in my insulation layer need and I have to say that I have worn it almost everyday since – on the trail and around town. I used to mostly wear a TNF Windwall fleece for both purposes too, but no real insulation in that one.

Mark Hudson
    BPL Member

@vesteroid

Locale: Eastern Sierras

you know I find the most often used jacket I have for around town is my driclime. The odd thing is I no longer carry it for hiking. I have found that in reality you dont spend all that much time outdoors if you are simply running errands or just going from the car to the house, so I am fine with a light jacket. I also think it keeps up my tolerance for cold come shoulder seasons.

If its raining I switch to an old NF Mountain lite parka.

I save the fancy down things for the trail.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

+1 Mark

When running errands and the like you really don't spend much time outside- and if you did, you're usually going to need more than just a warm coat. Folks who stand outside and wait for the bus or train may have another story- I wear long underwear between October and April for that reason. One bonus is that you don't need as heavy a coat, either. If that doesn't cut it, jumping up and down some. :)

Something that cuts the wind is a must for a casual coat, though- fleece without at least a nylon shell (ala the DriClime) doesn't cut it for casual outerwear.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Mink fur coat, 'coon skin hat, and buffalo hide mocassins, that usually rounds out my around town errand running insulation- I find this compliments my southern New Mexico climate quite well, especially in July. My backpacking garments are pretty typical and far less exotic.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Eugene, that is what I was thinking I'd get!

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Ah Eugene, I too am a big fan of the Hustler Davy Crockett Pimp look. I complete the ensemble with 1 carbon fiber cane.

But yeah, I used the same insulation both on and off the trail. Conditions in Boston often requires me to do so. My favorite go-to pieces are my TNF Thunder down sweater and First Ascent Igniter jacket (primaloft). Very functional on the trail, and doesn't look out of place in town.

Carl Holt

@sundown

That stinks about your stuff getting stolen.

I have a NF Redpoint jacket with a hood – I wore it exclusively as my winter layer since moving to Texas both on trail and around town.

A great layering piece and it doesn't look out of place. I think I paid $80 used on eBay for it several years ago.

I just picked up a GoLite Caddy jacket as an ultralight layer piece. No hood, very minimalist and trim fitting. In fact I used it every day since getting it on sale for $60 at the recent GoLite sale.

Both are great pieces and don't look to "Expedition-ey" around town.

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

LL Bean and Lands End make good durable insulation jackets that work well for around town. When they close out winter stock for the year you can get down or synthetic fill jackets from either for quite cheap.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

nothing is as yuppie … nothing generates as much ohhh and ahhhhs ….

get it on sale …

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Melenzana micro grid hoodie.
    Too comfy & warm to care what anyone would think about an old guy wearing a hoodie around town.

Sky Horne

@simplyalpine

Locale: Vagabonding..

I used to rock a Montbell Action Jacket in 'Gunmetal' around town. It has long disappeared into my ex-girlfriend's closet somewhere. It was pretty awesome, but that synthetic was too heavy for the Backcountry.

These days I rock a Mountain Hardwear Off-width with a torn up wind or rain shell. Lots of convenient pockets :D

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Heheh– I love seeing someone wearing an 800 fill down belay jacket in town on a 60F day. Get on a bus in Seattle and you will see all the major brands of outdoor apparel. I save my hiking rain gear for trail use just to avoid wear and tear on the DWR, but the rest is up for grabs as daily wear. I do tend to use fleece off-trail stuff. The weather is more wet and cool than cold and fleece is cheap and easy to find, easy to launder, breather well, works great with a shell.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello All

My Patagonia down sweater has become a new favorite for bumming around.
    Montbell for hiking.

Jim

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

You can't beat a trash bag stuffed with newspapers.

It may not be as light as a down jacket, but it is much more stylish:-)

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I have a Columbia fleece from years ago that's still kickin'. I got something lighter weight to hike in but the fleece has stayed in everyday rotation.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools