Topic

Tarptent for Tall Guy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent for Tall Guy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

I'm 6'5" and I use the long version of my sleeping bag. I'm not sure exactly how long it is, but I think it's somewhere north of 80 inches. I'm looking at either a Squall 2 Tarptent or a Cloudburst 2, but I'm not sure it will be long enough for me. I used a Contrail for a while and honestly can't remember how much of an issue the length was, I have a nagging feeling that it was a problem that I noticed (head or feet hitting putting pressure against the mesh) but I just don't recollect that well.

I know the Double Rainbow would work but I don't like the weight penalty for when I'm going out solo. I nearly bought the Vamp Tarp on sale but I'd like a tent that works for two people too. For what it's worth I'm using a Big Agnes bag now which helps with pad/bag mismatches and keeps everything together. Any tall users that can comment on the Squall 2 or Cloudburst 2?

kevin smith

@divr6347

i do not have one but my friend does

we set it up in my front yard when he first got it and that thing is huge i got inside and layed down and had lots of room left in the head and foot area and im 6-1
    almost 6-2 i think you would have plenty of room in the cloudburst but also have you checked out the moment i have this tent and its pretty good fairly long too

and its only 1 3/4 lbs

check the floor length specs on henry s website just to be sure but i think either one would work for you and your long bag

kevin

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

And here is something I prepared earlier…
    Took these pics a few days ago for a guy that is a couple of inches shorter than you ..
    The floor in my shot (bathtub up…) is about 83" (could be 84"…)
    The Exped mat is 180 cm long, the pillow is 26cm long , that is about 81" plus there is a bit more after that.
    Your sleeping bag will touch either or both ends but is is mesh there.
    The backpack outside the foot area is about 15" high (lying down…)
    Squall 2 headSquall 2 foot
    The height wher the pillow is is about 43", so a bit more right against the door.

Franco
    [email protected]

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I'm 6-4 and haven't had a problem with the Scarp 2. And I have a 7-foot sleeping bag that almost fits end-to-end. Same with the Hogback, which is the same length (I think).

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Franco,

What is that tent? Rainshadow 2

Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

"Your sleeping bag will touch either or both ends but is is mesh there."

The mesh means it won't likely be very wet, maybe some condensation on the bathtub floor, but the real issue is compressing the down in either the head or foot area. Hopefully now that I have a Big Agnes pad/bag combo and can paint silicone stripes on the floor I wouldn't be sliding up or down enough to where that would happen.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Ryan
    No that is the Squall 2. The RS2 is like that but larger.
    see this video :
    http://www.youtube.com/user/francodarioli?feature=mhum#p/u/7/GNf837Dl1B0
    Franco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools