Topic

3 Day trip Backpacking Sierra

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 3 Day trip Backpacking Sierra

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Leon Sung

@rachtak

I'm planning a trip for mid-April. I initially wanted to go to Yosemite, but it seems like its going to still be covered in snow, so I'm exploring other avenues. I still want the "sierra feel" (lakes, tall trees, granite faces, etc), but without having to trudge through waist-deep snow. Does anyone know of a place like this in/near the sierras that has me right under/at the snow level (6,000 feet in mid april?).

Thanks!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Leon,

I'll speculate you might want to explore some lower elevation hikes, maybe a river tripr? because April will be a very snowy month, even in the mid elevations. Those classic subalpine lakes will still be buried.

Subject to change of course, but this year we're ahead of the annual snowfall average as of March and it would take some major heat to melt it off in a month. Alternatively, the coastal woods might be a good destination.

Cheers,

Rick

Leon Sung

@rachtak

Thanks Rick,

It doesnt have to be trinity alps specifically, but do you know of anywhere in that area of nor-cal that would be at/a little under the snow level that I could do for my trip?

Maybe I dont know what I'm talking about, but just by looking at Google Topo Map, lakes like Ukonom Lake, Secret Lake, and Onemile Lake are all below 6,000 feet (upper 5,000's). Could this be a potential backpacking trip for us, or will it still be too snowy? We can take patches of snow, but not much more. Please let me know.

This map contains a couple possible points of interest that are ~5,500 feet. Please let me know what you think.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=41.551242,-123.4338&spn=0.107911,0.338173&t=p&z=12&msid=206309789380393130532.00049e7c9ad70b0b71fa6

Thanks.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Rancheria Creek is at about 4500 feet, with access from Hetch Hetchy. No snow there.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

There's one place that has lots of granite boulders and slabs, and you can stay just under the snow line if you want. No squabbles at all about wilderness permits.

Death Valley National Park

–B.G.–

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools