Topic

snapped a gossamer gear lt4 pole…what to do?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) snapped a gossamer gear lt4 pole…what to do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

snapped the lower section of one of my lt4's this weekend on a snowy decent of old butt knob trail in shining rock wilderness, NC. Did i hear they will replace one lower section for free? anyone have any advise? thanks in advance.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

Unless you think it was a manufacturing defect that led to the breakage, they sell a replacement tip section on their site for $45.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I believe you get one fix for free. Contact them. Mike is great and they have helped me out before. Great Customer service

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

Someone I have hiked with told me that she broke the lower carbon portion of her poles and that she called up GG and they shipped her a replacement for free. She is a GG trail ambassador though, so I'm not sure if it is the same for everyone, but she said they are great to deal with and just to be polite and rational and they are looking to please customers. Worth a shot.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I had to pay $40 or so when I broke one.

David White
    BPL Member

@davidw

Locale: Midwest

I left both of my LT4's on the roof of my car as I drove away from the trailhead. Never did find them.

Although "user stupidity" is not covered by any warranty I'm aware of; Mike went way out of his way to help me out. Really great folks to deal with. Call them up. Although the repair may not be free, at least you can be assured they'll be more than fair about it.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I snapped one in Linnville Gorge. They asked how it happened but replaced it for free. Nice people.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I broke one of my LT4's 20 minutes into my first hike with them. I had a similar experience to most above. Sent and email to Grant with the story in the above link, and was told to contact Mike for a replacement; "First one's on us." I just had to pay the $13 shipping fee.

I ended up with a UL Pole Jack for Duomid, made out of the broken shaft.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jim,
    When did you snap your pole, and get a free replacement?

10 months ago I had to paid full price for a replacement lower.

So I'm wondering about the policy and grace period.
    At this point is seems undefined and arbitrary.

Thanks.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Greg,

I just checked my email that the replacement shaft was shipped 4/21/10. Almost 11 months ago to the day. I wonder what changed in 1 month's time. Maybe I had a good sob story?

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Hearing several stories of snapped poles doesn't give me much comfort that Carbon Fiber poles in general are a good thing. Yes I can cut weight but they just sound way too fragile. Am I overreacting? Interested to hear from anyone that has significantly used LT4's specifically and if they are holding up over time or are these isolated cases in this thread.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I think it might depend on your trekking pole style. If you always have a hard grip on them, you're liable to snap one. If, on the other hand, you have a light grip on them, they'll last you a good, long while.

I have a light grip (and I don't use a strap), so they pull out of my hand before they snap. I've used them exclusively for at least the last two years, including a weeklong trek in Wyoming where we were navigating rock/talus and scree. No issues. They've seen a lot of use in the MidAtlantic, including the ever rocky Pennsylvania, and no issues.

I even bought a second pair as a backup. I've never needed to use them.

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

You can find a wood dowel that fits snug or a piece of aluminum round stock and 5 minute epoxy. Might not be pretty.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

"Hearing several stories of snapped poles doesn't give me much comfort that Carbon Fiber poles in general are a good thing. Yes I can cut weight but they just sound way too fragile. Am I overreacting?"

Yes. Any stress bearing product made of too light material is going to have higher failure rates – no matter what the material. I guess those who buy these poles are willing to put up with that to get the lower weight. Not me – poles can save your life or limb – so should not be breaking at a critical point. There are lots of sturdier carbon poles on the market that are also heavier, but light enough for most, not over 8 oz each.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I love carbon fiber because of its weight and strength. However, the problem with carbon fiber is if you nick it, you now have an area that can fail under repeated stress. You should inspect CF poles regularly and apply CA (superglue) to any areas that have been damaged; the glue will hold loose fibers together, preventing further damage.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I cover the bottom 18 inches of my carbon poles with black duct tape to prevent lower pole nicks.

I use one straight 18" piece of tape and apply longitudinally, not wrapping with a longer length.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Contact Gossamer Gear. They will help you out, I think.

Unfortunatly, with most UL carbon stuff, broken usually means destroyed. I have had real good luck with some, but if there are longish fibers running through it, chances are it actually started to fold up while breaking. This extends the break for 4-6 inches either side of a break. By the time you get some UL aluminum tube inside and a diamond wrap outside (epoxied in both cases) you will have added about 2oz. Not bad, and you could live with it, but, that was NOT why you bought UL poles to begin with. Balance will be off, compared to the other one, with more momentum swinging out. Perhaps a few wraps of tape on the unbroken one will correct it.

Anyway, wrapping the lower 6" or so with a double diamond thread wrap (see rod building,) then a light coating of epoxy over that will prevent a large portion of wear from rocks. This will weigh about a half-3/4oz or so, but well worth it. As prevention against knicks, scratches, and as strengthening the tubing,(again, much like rod building,) this goes a long ways towards reliability. And the extra bit of weight *may* help with your stride. I like a heavier pole because of the kick-out while hiking. It swings easily. Light poles often lack that, though I use a home made 4.75oz one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Hearing several stories of snapped poles doesn't give me much comfort that Carbon Fiber poles in general are a good thing. Yes I can cut weight but they just sound way too fragile. Am I overreacting?"

Perhaps. Or maybe it is not being aware of a general principle that applies to using UL gear in general: The tradeoff for lightness is being proportionately careful with the gear, as it will not take the abuse that heavier gear is designed to withstand. Assess your hiking style and the conditions you intend to hike in and purchase accordingly.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools