Topic

MSR E-House?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MSR E-House?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Hickman

@eastcoast315

Locale: Central New York State

Hey y'all. Seeking out some gear advice, I've come into some cash through seasonal employment, and I'm ready to revamp a couple aspects of my quivver. The first one that I'm in dire need of is my shelter system. I've been using the tarp from my old, old, Hennesey Hammock (I sold the actual hammock, I could never sleep in it). It works alright but its falling apart, and isn't ideal for trips longer than a night or two. This upcoming year, I'm going to walk from Portland, Maine, to Portland, Oregon. I'm going to stealth camp as much as I can, so I'll need something that is durable, light, and hearty against rough weather.
    Now I know the E-House is marketed as an emergency shelter*, but the weight is low (20 oz.), it's silnylon, and it seems to fit my needs. Oh, and it's very cheap.
    Despite the low pricetag, I'm never quick to spend much of my money, and I figured I'd run it by the sages first, as I didn't find many reviews on it.
    In short, has anyone successfully used "emergency shelters" over longer expeditions?

* They do also call it a "streamlined backpacking shelter".
    http://www.backcountry.com/msr-e-house-shelter?CMP_SKU=CAS0559&MER=0406&CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&mv_pc=r126&mr:trackingCode=9F3EC1DA-F061-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

Thanks!

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I bought one used, and I'd hesitate to use it as a daily shelter. I think you'd be a lot better served by a Mac Cat tarp or such. Or finding something used on here. I even picked up a Kelty Noah's Tarp on SAC the other day for $34, or some ridiculous number.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The e-house was designed as an emergency shelter for snow trips. If you are going cross country with a mix of developed and wilderness areas, you might want to look at free-standing shelters so you can set up on paved surfaces if needed. For real stealth camping, a camouflage poncho and/or a bivy might work. Getting permission from farmers and home owners along the way may be easier.

For good reading on an undertaking like this, see Ken and Marcia Powers journal of walking the American Discovery Trail in 2005: http://www.trailjournals.com/GottaWalkADT/

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Stealth camping in bright yellow? :)

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Andrew,

Look at Seth Brewer's post selling his MLD gray silnylon Solo-mid with perimeter netting. That'd be a better shelter for stealth camping, except (as Dale mentioned) when you needed to camp on hard surfaces.

Interesting fact o' the day: Portland, OR was named after Portland, MA, when two early founders of the city wanted to each name the city after their respective hometowns. A coin toss later, we have Portland, OR instead of Boston, OR.

Edit: put the correct name, Andrew instead of Aaron!

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Check out the Golite Shangri-La 1 in dark green. Better weight, space, and color than the MSR.

Andrew Hickman

@eastcoast315

Excellent points made by all. The color is definitely going to be an issue, and I should have considered it. To the man who said a freestanding tent might serve me better for hard surfaces, I'm not really sure if that will be an issue here. I can't think of many situations where I would camp on pavement. I'm not sure about that.
    And I love the concepts of the Shangri-La and the Solomid, but they both seem to require trekking poles. I like using poles for hiking, but distance trekking like this, that will be primarily on pavement, is not (in my opinion) the best place to use poles. If anyone has used either of those tents, sans poles, with relative ease, chime in for sure.
    Right now, the Mac Cat Tarp (or similar build) seems to be the biggest winner, particularly if I can find one in a darker shade of grey.

I'm glad I made this thread instead of simply jumping in and buying that tent. Could have been a mistake without a doubt. Thanks!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

As to hard surface camping, you will be walking roads and developed areas more than wilderness. You may find yourself camping in a parking lot, under a bridge, a "donated" porch, etc— more "hobo" conditions than backcountry travel.

The couple that did the ADT (that I gave the link to) used a single wall free-standing tent.

A Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape would be a good cross-country shelter and rain gear. The gray one would be very "urban camouflage." Six stakes and one pole, which doesn't have to be a trekking pole.

I think a camouflage tarp and a good bivy would be the best really stealthy camping rig. You can fit a bivy in any place you can lay down and a small tarp can be rigged in 1000 ways.

Andrew Hickman

@eastcoast315

Just a bit of an update; I think I solved the trekking pole issue. I've decided to go with the Mountain Laurel Designs Solomid. But instead of using a pole, I'm about to buy a Gossamer Gear Riksak, and when I do, they sell these nifty foldable poles that only weigh 3.1 oz apiece (I one need one). Pick one of those up, and I'll be all set!
    Pole

Thanks for all the help, great advice as usual from BPL.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools