Topic

Your thoughts on Altra shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Your thoughts on Altra shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Since I can now see my socks through my shoes, I guess it's ALMOST time to look for new ones. I say almost because these are still fully functional. Generally I'm cheap when it comes to gear, for shoes I'll make an exception.

So today I discover the Altra Lone Peak via http://www.adventureinprogress.com/ and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these. I will use them for bpling, trail running, and off-trail-scree-bushwack-snow-mudding. Thanks!

Jeremy Howlett

@jhowlett12

Glad to hear you found out about The Lone Peak. As a co-founder of Altra I have some pretty biased opinions ;). However, as a trail shoe The Lone Peak is among the top in its class. Co-founder and Ultrarunner Brian Beckstead has put that shoe through the ringer and has had incredible success! Running Wasatch 100, Kachina Mosa 100k, Antelope 100k and then a variety of 10k + ft cliffs in and around Utah IN THE SAME PARE!

These shoes will fit exactly what you are looking for.

Unfortunately, they are not yet out to the general public, but will be released this summer. I hope that you can wait for that. In the meantime check out our social networks and website. http://altrarunning.com.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Jeremy,

Why is the online price $10 more than the in-store price? Seems counterintuitive.

Also, your site says June '11, will they be pushed past that to July/August?

Sid Riddle

@shiree

Locale: Southeastern US

Jeremy,

Very excited about the release of these and what looks like a huuuuge toe-box, they seem like a good transition away from the mt101. I personally want to get away from the drop those have, but still have the support and cushioning to be able to maintain distance and pace.
    Also, What is the "Heel Rudder" thing that protrudes out and what is its purpose?

Ignore the Heel Rudder question, I watched the video again and found out.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Regarding the Heel Rudder: trim it off and save a few grams. The description offered on the vid indicates it's mostly for "cool" factor, to paraphrase: "gets conversations going".

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I really want to get a pair of the Altra Lone Peak shoes soon, but I don't know of any stores nearby that carry them. I wish Zappos carried them so I could exchange them if I didn't get the right size…and coming from Inov-8's narrow lasts, I could easily get the size wrong with a properly designed last.

Jeremy Howlett

@jhowlett12

Eugene, we do offer a 30 day guarantee online and you are free to exchange sizes. Check them out online at http://altrazerodrop.com

Dave Marcus
    BPL Member

@djrez4

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Those look like exactly what I've been seeking in a new trail shoe. BPL wins again!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I bought some of these.

What I like:
    – The sole is awesome. It's springy but not super thick. It's got no raised heel or arch or toe spring. The traction is good.

What I don't like:
    – Way too narrow! The forefoot (from the ball of the foot forward) is way too narrow and the toebox is not very generous. The only way I could wear them is to remove the insole and still my forefeet hang over the edges with the balls of my feet resting on the seams.
    – Despite what they say about not tapering at the toe, it tapers at the toe too much so my 2nd-to-the-last toes touch the plastic toe caps.

I wore them hiking and they caused no pain or blisters so I'm okay with them. If I buy them again, I will purchase the men's model, which means they'll be a couple sizes too big for me. The flat, non-minimal sole is worth putting up with resorting to my old strategy of buying mens shoes a couple sizes too big for me.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Anyone else here try these yet?

B Shaw
    Spectator

@johnnysmash

I just got a pair a couple of weeks ago.
    Good things include
    -Super wide toe box (at least for me). I can't stand most hiking boots/shoes because my toes get all squished.
    -Nice aggressive tread.
    -Stylish.

The bad things:
    -The mesh is so thin that I get all sorts of fine dirt in them. Granted, I hike in very sandy soil and this means they probably breathe really well too.
    -The heel is also super wide. I bought them for trail shoes, but my heel comes up on every step so I can't hike in them, so I just wear them around town/to work.

Basically, if they fit you, I think they're great shoes.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"just got a pair"

That's what my brother said about me after my first divorce…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools