Topic

Inflatable Snowshoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inflatable Snowshoes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I came across a post on the NW Hiker's forum mentioning these inflatable snowshoes. The mountaineering-oriented folk there were amused, but I could see this having merit for a thru-hiker. They were evidently designed for ski-boarders.

Inflatable snowshoes

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/any-exit-inflatable-emergency-snowshoes,news-9887.html

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Impressively goofy–can they possibly work? Nice find! :-)

Cheers,

Rick

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi, Great idea.

Check out this one, It is a different shape and has a crampon of sorts and I expect better.

Link

Sean Staplin
    BPL Member

@mtnrat

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies

I wonder what they weigh.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Flatlanders…
    Franco

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

The ones with the crampons look like a viable idea to me. I'm thinking of a thru-hiker dealing with late season snow. It would sure beat post-holing for hours. I don't think it is any goofier than crossing an icy fiord in a packraft (looks like one too).

Inflatable snowshoe with crampon

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The Small Foot type (the Bulgarian ones from Bill's link and Dale's pic) do look interesting, however I can only find generic terms like 'light" and "small packed size" but no real specs.
    Franco

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Franco,

I sent an email to the one from my link. If they answer I have a bunch of questions for them.

Did you find the videos of the guy wearing them. I would like to see someone wearing the snow shoes and a person walking along side them with only boots on. I want to see how deep the snow is.

It is a clever idea but I bet they are not much lighter, if any lighter at all, then say my Northern Lites.

How about a Cuben Shell and a couple balloons or a small bike intertube for floatation?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

stick and stones will break my bones … and pop my inflatable snowshoes

i bet ya can walk on water with em though ;)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I think size/space was a consideration– these guys are snowboarding.

Rick Stafford

@goldmizer

Ok, Here is the scoop. If you want to stomp post holes in the snow get these little foot or small foot inflatables if you want but first check out the full size inflatables at http://www.airlitesnowshoe.com these things are awsome. I used a pair of the prototypes to pull a 12 1/2 foot christmas tree out of the woods here in Alaska at -4 in over 5 foot of snow. Not packed snow either. talk about tough, I stomped all over deadfall trees trying to see how well they hold up. Not a scratch. Check em out, these are cool.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I don't see any traction with those so I still think that the Small Foot may work in more situations.
    Franco

Rick Stafford

@goldmizer

I belive the web site said they were designed mainly for emergency but can and do work well for most situations but arn't ment to take the place of normal snowshoes. Given that, I think they would give a person a good chance at survival. I like the fact that they kept me on top of the deep snow even in deep stuff and I can put one in each coat pocket. Don't mean to soap-box here it's just that I got to test a prototype pair and loved em.

Rick Stafford

@goldmizer

Check out the web site again. They came up with an addition to the Airlite Snowshow. That tracion device looks like it willk work for just about anywhere. Notice that the nail has a hard time putting a hole in the material. If these things are this tough and now traction for most all situations, I'm sold. Only 17 oz's each.

Also, I have it on good authority, that the Little Foot Snowshoe built in Bulgaria can NOT be sold in, shipped through, or made available to the USA because of Patent infringment laws. Go figure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools