Topic

How to take my 3/4 length Prolite Plus down to 20F

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to take my 3/4 length Prolite Plus down to 20F

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

I had a really cold night at ~29 degrees on just my 3/4 Prolite Plus with Golite Ultra 20 quilt, Cap 3 top and bottom, nice socks, a Montbell Down Inner Jacket, light beanie and a balaclava, with my pack under my legs in my Contrail. I want to blame my coldness on the insulation underneath me. What should I add to take me down to 20 degrees? Do I need a Ridgerest? Or would a 3/8 GG thinlight do the trick? Something else? I'm on a budget, by the way. Need a lightweight solution for less than $40.
    What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Dan

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Just capilene pants? Maybe need something in addition. Maybe need some booties also.

Do you have a jacket or parka or whatever? Why don't you wear that also.

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

You sound like a very cold sleeper. What type of bag were you in? Did you eat well before bed?

I'm a very warm sleeper, myself. My setup for around freezing is a 1/8" GG thinlight underneath my neoair short, for an r-value of ~3. I use a bag with 10.6 oz of 750-fill down, and have usually been comfortable with that setup. I think you should just grab a few 1/8" thinlights, then experiment with how many it takes to make you more comfortable.

If all else fails and you're shivering in your bag, you could always heat some water and fill a platy with it. I often do that on any cold night, then leave it in my bag to warm it up until I'm ready for bed!

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

Locale: Southeast

Edited originally post to show I had a Golite Ultra 20 quilt, which to me is more like a 30 degree quilt.

But no, that night I actually didn't eat before I went to sleep. Probably a bad idea, too. But I think I might add a 3/8 in GG thinlight and maybe throw on my R1 hoody at night and hope that works?
    Planning on bringing that whole set up to the Roan Mountain area of the AT March 25-April 3 assuming the weather isn't forecast to be in the teens and lower. Otherwise I'm considering the Pinhoti Trail in hopes of warmer weather.
    Inside a Tarptent Contrail:
    GG 3/8 Thinlight
    3/4 Prolite Plus
    Golite Ultra 20
    Cap 3 top and bottom
    R1 Hoody
    Montbell Down Inner Jacket
    thick Smartwool socks
    beanie
    balaclava

…should be more than enough for 20 dgerees, I'm hoping…

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

maybe a pair of 100 weight fleece pants and the R1?
    Not sure how cold you were but I remember some people posting that the Golite Ultra20 was more of a 30degree bag.
    One thought would be to sell the Montbell and get a Alpine Light parka or EB downlight hoody with the proceeds.

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

If you're anything like me, which your experiences lead me to believe you may be, the addition of a dual use sit pad/foot pad could work wonders.

Just putting my pack beneath my feet left them cold more often than not. Slightly chilled feet, for me, can lead to my whole body feeling cold, whether or not I really am. I cut a piece of 3/8 CCF about a foot by 10" or so…weighs right around an ounce, gets used whenever I stop for a break/meal to sit on, keeping my butt dry and warm, then when I stop for the night, it gets stuck into the bottom of my bag/quilt and keeps my feet and calves toasty warm. This in addition to my pack under my legs keeps me much warmer. For the cost of a 6 buck pad from Walmart that you can cut into any number of shapes and sizes, it might be worth a shot for you.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

If you find the Ultra20 to be a 30degree quilt for you, then I'd say you are correct that the pad & pack are the problem.

You can probably get by w/a 1/8" thinlight to reduce bulk (& a little weight). But if the rest of your system isn't too bulky then the 3/8" is can't miss. You can probably leave the R1 at home.

RE: the Pinhoti…I've only done a section ending @Cheaha Mtn. but loved it. A year ago this week, actually! There were still ice & snow patches, but the daytime temps were very mild.

Have a great time and pls report back!

Todd

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

add a zlite or ridgerest and youll be fine

the R values for those for the weight is generally higher than simple foamies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools