Topic

Valandre Mirage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Valandre Mirage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tyler Cockrell

@tylercockrell

Does anyone have any experience with this company and or sleeping bag. (Valandre Mirage) It looks very light for its temp rating. I think they make up for weight in the length of the zipper.

Charles Jennings
    Spectator

@vigilguy

Locale: Northern Utah

I have about three years of experience with Valandre’, and own their Mirage, Shocking Blue, Kiruna, Thule, Oural Mittens, and am receivng their Bering jacket in a week or so.

In my opinion, there are pros/cons about the short zipper on the Mirage. If I am using the bag below 50 degrees, I don’t worry about getting too warm, I can regulate the temperature enough by having the zipper open if need be. I have used the bag outside without a shelter down to 12 degrees one winter night, just to test its limits, and stayed warm. I had a base layer of marmot driclime on, along with a balaclava.

Valandre’s bags use some fabulous goose down, or duck down in some of their bags. This is only my opinion, but after using their bags and jackets pretty extensively, I have to say right now that I feel that their duck down is equivalent to the goose down that is used in bags here in the states, and their goose down is second to none.

We tested the Kiruna jacket right alongside a competitor’s jacket of similar fill, that is U.S. made, and the Kiruna was noticably warmer.

Not sure exactly where they get their supply of down, but it is definitely the creme de la creme, in my opinion.

They have some pretty innovative designs in the Shocking Blue and the Mirage, where the baffles are cut in such a way that the weight of the bag is hardly felt against your skin once you crawl inside and allow for the bag to heat up.

They are pricey, but they’re nice!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Tyler-

Look for my Valandre Mirage review to come out by the end of October. Great bag!

Doug Johnson

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

I own both a Mirage and a La Fayette bag and the quality is excellent.

It can take some time to get used to the short zipper but it isn’t a real issue (at least for me). The only problem with the zipper is that it’s harder to ventilate the bag because this thing is hot. In the warmer months, it’s just too warm to get into the bag while using it as a blanket is hardly possible.

Since this season they changed there fabrics (used to be pertex, now some Japanese stuff) so I don’t have any experience with that but there are some reviews on backpackgeartest.org from their Shocking Blue and La Fayette.

Tyler Cockrell

@tylercockrell

Thanks for the input guys.

I recently purchased one and i was concerned with the amount of Loft. I have a the MH Phantom 32 and it is great, but some nights in the sierras i get cold. I wanted another bag that has just enough to get me through, not too much more.

Hopefully this will be the bag for cooler nights in the sierra.

Dan Mahoney

@mahoned

Tyler, how has the Mirage worked out for you? I have spent a few nights in it recently in the Superstitions outside of Phoenix and been a little disappointed. Charlie, I bought this bag from your shop and all of the ratings and reviews supported your earlier post but I am wondering if I got shortchanged on the down becuase it seems awfully skimpy. Perhaps I got some of the duck down you mention instead of the goose down. At any rate, I slept at 32 degrees with layers and couldn't get warm. i kept getting cold spots. Should I consider sending back to Valandre?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools