Topic

Odd Sleeping Pad Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Odd Sleeping Pad Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Locale: The Sierras

I'll probably lose my 'man card' on this one, but here goes…Is there any other guys out there that think the weight, size, and R-Rating for the womens Prolite sleeping pad are a good fit for them. The 66" inch length is right where I want it to be for a pad. The weight is only 16 ozs. and it is more comfortable, (IMO), than a Z-Rest or closed cell pad. I think Thermarest ought to re-think their marketing on this one and make it more gender neutral. I know they put more insulation where women need it in the pad, but I like warm feet too, I'm just saying…

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Wuss ;)

edit- I guess I'll answer instead of just comment… I agree- the womens trail pro and comfort series look nice too

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I had seriously considered the women's version at one point, but I went with a KookaBay instead.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Travis, Thanks for the suggestion, but I have looked at that option once, and am no longer looking at that option. I don't want to open this up to a KookaBay discussion, I've said my piece on that in another thread. Thank you for the advice on that anyways though! At least there was one other guy at least looking at the ProLite option…that's mildy comforting!

Jeff – Wuss??? I haven't bought it yet, come on man! :)

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

I am a very cold sleeper so I need some extra insulation and I agree that the Women's Prolite does look appealing. If they didn't only come in purple I would probably own one by now and I'm probably going to buy one anyway. I mean who cares about the color right?

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Tyler – Yeah I'm to the point of not caring about the color myself. It get's covered up by a 'manly' sleeping bag anyways! Maybe I can tye dye it in some kind of crazy camo colors!

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

Um, really, don't worry about it. Get the pad you like. Even if it's purple. How's that going to hurt you?

I work part time at an REI in the camping department, and believe me, a bunch of guys get the women's prolite for just the reasons you mention–they like the size, the r-value, and, especially, that it has fewer holes and more foam, and is consequently more comfortable for them. I reassure them regularly. They laugh and buy it.

I myself am a Ridgerest person but I seem to be a minority.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

" I mean who cares about the color right?"

Absolutely right. Still, I just can't get over the bright red color of the Western Mountaineering Summerlite bag — even though everything else about it is top notch… Just something about that red color…

But back to topic — our very own Franco owns a lady's model Prolite in hot pink and loves it. So there. :)

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

Proud women's prolite 4 owner. Hot pink and all.

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

All right! I won't be the only guy on the planet sporting a purple sleeping pad!! Thanks for all of the replies…..and I know I'm a grown man and shouldn't worry about what other people think, I just wanted some 'back-up' when my hiking buddies start bringing out the 'wearing of the skirt' jokes!

Ben – Yeah, my Summerlight colors will go swell with it!

Tyler Barcelli

@youngster

Locale: Southeast

Robert – Actually the purple color may compliment the color of the WM Highlite you sold me so it looks like I will be in all purple :)

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Tyler – I'm cracking up, I totally forgot about you buying the Highlight from me! Your right, they're a perfect match. Maybe I sold it too soon!!

To those of you that are using the womens Prolite…How do you like it overall? I have only checked it out in the store, and it seems to support much better than my Z-Rest and Ridgerest. How is it's 2.8 advertised r-rating, in your opinions?

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

I am looking for some input on whether folks agree with the advertised r-value of this pad. If anyone has some experience with this pad, ie comfort, durability ect., it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

Anyone else out there using a womens Prolite sleeping pad? I am looking at a few reviews on r-rating, comfort, durability ect. any info would help, Thanks.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

I am, as noted above, a Ridgerest person, so I don't have personal experience with the Prolite pads. But there are several reviews up at rei.com. Plug in Item #780990 to the search field on rei.com, and on the product page select the Reviews tab.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Roger just did an article about Prolite, check it out

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Robert Perkins
    Spectator

@rp3957

I have read the review here on the Prolite and it was well done. I am looking at a the womens version of the Prolite that has a higher r-value, a 66" length, ect. I have had really good luck with Thermarests durability in the past, so I suspect that shouldn't be an issue. I was more curious if anyone noticed a difference in the r-value rating as advertised.

Mina- Thanks again! I have read the REI ratings and they were useful. I'm really looking to get a guys perspective, particularly on r- rating and size. FYI, my earlier comments on color and the 'ribbing' I would get from my buddies was tounge-in-cheek, I'm really not THAT concerned about the plum color! ;)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I don't think the difference in R value is noticeable

The only way to see difference is to measure it with lab equipment

But that's just my opinion – you'de have to set up a controlled experiment to verify : )

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools