Topic

I need some sleeping bag advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need some sleeping bag advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

I presently have a Marmot Pinnacle Long 15 Degree bag weighing in at 2 lbs. 12 oz. The shoulder is 64″, hip is 58″ and the foot is 40″. The perfect fit since I’m 6.0 ft. and weigh 215 lbs. However, this is too much weight. So far my new gear is the TarpTent Contrail weighing in at 24 oz. (just ordered it), Golite Pinnacle pack @ 23 Oz. ( coming out in Feb. 2007 ) and now for the sleeping bag. What do you think of the MontBell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #4 at 23 oz. It is rated at 37 Degrees and will go to 21 Degrees. Any suggestions? A lot of the Ultra Light Bags girth are tight for me. Thanks!

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

Check out the Western Mountaineering Megalite. IIRC, it weighs 1 lb 8 oz and is around a 30 degree rating. The girth is ~64” as well. I have one and love it. I’m 6’0 and about 180 with fairly broad shoulders and it fits great.

John Rowling II
    BPL Member

@jrowling

Locale: Great Lakes Area

Drew, thanks for the reply….I’ve checked out the Megalite by Western Mountaineering and that is the best I have seen yet. What do you use for a sleeping pad? I can’t believe I missed that bag. Thanks alot!

Drew Davis
    BPL Member

@drewnc2005

Locale: Denver, CO

My pad is one of my luxury items. I use the insul mat max thermo. 2.5” of incredible comfort. Heavier than the typical ultralighter’s closed cell foam pad, but I’ll carry the ounces to sleep on something that comfortable. It works great with the bag.

Chris Miller

@chrisdm

I have a Montbell UL#2 that rocks. The regular weighs 1lb 13oz, and is rated at 25degs.

The “super stretch” makes this a very, very comfortable bag, especially if you like to move around in your bag.

Chris M
    Palm Springs,CA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools