Topic

New down coat.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New down coat.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    patrick walsh

@apbt1976

What do you guys think about new down jacket loosing feathers. The feathers are coming out where the baffles are sewn. Its not a crazy amount of them nor are they very big but it def is noticeable. Being the coat was this way right outa the box new i cant help but wonder if this is a sign of cheap coat and if so if should return it?

I really like the coat and i hope this is not a bad sign as the fit is great and it is warm as can be!! I had it at the top of MT. Madison yesterday and it had to be at least -20 on the summit with wind chill and i was as warm as could be.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

It is quite common to see down floating around from a new coat or bag. The problem is if it continues after use.

First Ascent had a problem with their first batch of Down Sweaters because of a fabric problem. I am testing a Merrell unit that is showing the same thing.

If it does not slow down over your first few trips it may be worth a call to Customer Service.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

If it's not excessive, than its fairly normal in my book. My down sweaters lose occasional feathers as well. Hell, my nunatak sleeping bag loses feathers, and there's no dispute about it's build quality. It's just the simple nature of the fabrics and insulation used. Just pull them back in through the fabric. Don't rip them out from the outside or you'll risk enlarging that particular hole

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Good news i guess? It is more like feather dust or feather pieces. I have not seen a whole feather that i would be tempted to pull out or push back through.

I have a old NF vest i messed up years ago before i had a clue as to how u go about washing down. It as a result lets go of giant feathers all over the place. This is not like that.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

no down jacket is "downproof" … my westcomb, EB, mammut, montbell, etc … all lose the occasional feather

with eb you can just swap it … with the others, if it gets bad call customer service

sometimes synth is just easier to deal with …

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I got the Montane North Star. I will get the EB XB when it goes on a deep sale. The North Star was $169 and i couldn't say no to the price!!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

patrick …

if you got it from backcountry they should take care of you … their service is pretty good

you can always resist … if you dont you end up like me with too many dead birdies

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

What do you do with all that clothing. From what i can tell at this point the only xtra "clothing based gear" i bring with me other than what is on my back is as follows, mid weight base layer top and bottom, Gore Tex pants, Gore tex bibs, xtra wool socks, one xrtra heavy weight fleece, down coat, xtra hat, xtra gloves. Being i have time to do laundry between trips i dont see the need for anything more. That looks like a crap load of tops?!!!!

Maybe i will have a small store in the back room in a few years? I hope not though as this crap is expensive as hell!!!! I am gonna buy it all from REI so when i wear it out i can just return it for a new one lol ;)?!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

top, bottoms, fleeces, insulated jackets ..

those are just the dead birds … never mind my other stuff … or my climbing gear

i told myself that i "needed" it all when it was %50 off … you know … need those alpha sv pants for snow belays … gamma sv jacket for chasing polar bears in the arctic … fleeces for rock belays … etc …

the good news is that ive used all my stuff at least a few times in the wild

the bad news is that i use it much more often around town looking yuppay !!!

the great news is that all the cougars downtown luv dead birdies … they think youre some kind of outdoor, fit, extreme person … i do nothing to dissuade the of course

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Funny s@#t!!! 50% of Arcteryx where? Where i live you are just a dirty redneck if you spend any time outdoor. Yup even if you are wearing Dead Bird! Really its a shame cuz that would be great if that was all it took to land an old one!!!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

patrick … i am about to reveal to you the true evilness of the dead bird mind …

would you be able to resist a 99$ goretex with a dead bird logo???

whatever you do …. dont come to van with yr credit cards!!!

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I am confused.. i might just have been sitting in front of my computer for way to long but i see a add but not link? What gives or am i just blind at this point?

Levon Jensen
    BPL Member

@levonjensen

Locale: Canadian Rockies

its a instore deal, so no link.

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

So i guess i gotta get up and drive to Vancouver in the morning? Should be their by next Saturday ;) ?

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

At one point in time mine was worse…. not only did i work at an outdoor store with up to 75% off arcteryx,i also did part time work for north face with 75% off to free gear. then I moved, and changed my consumerism lifestyle and had to get rid of about 30 different tnf and arcteryx jackets…

those 75% deals are dangerous

the factory store has no warranty. I've destroyed everything I've bought from it.usually in its first trip.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools