Topic

New Kifaru Pack – less then 3lbs, 5200 ci, will carry 100+ lbs!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Kifaru Pack – less then 3lbs, 5200 ci, will carry 100+ lbs!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Raymond Knechtel

@nuke

Looks like Kifaru will be releasing their new pack info Dec 15 (Wed). Some testers even hauled 150lbs with the pack. Here is what Mel has to say about it.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?23909-Kifaru-Ultralight-Packs

"Hey guys, I see the word is out already on a couple forums, and it is true that we are about to launch a complete Utralight pack program on Wed 15 Dec. This will be the biggest launch we have ever done! The Ultralight website will be up Wed with the whole product line ready to order. There will also be an Ultralight Forum so all the info and discussion can be found in one spot. Look for it to be up on Wed also.

I can give you some info here in the meantime. The Ultralight program has been in the works for years, and is now ready for prime time. There are many companies building ultralight packs, and we in fact tested many of these. The problem we found with all the current ultralight offerings, was that though they were indeed light, they just could not support any real weight in comfort. What we have brought to the table are ultralight packs that are extremely light, yet can carry the same amount of weight as our standard packs. We will be offering a KU2200, KU3700, and KU5200. The KU being Kifaru Ultralight, and the numbers being the capacity in ci. Our KU5200 is well under 3lbs, yet can carry 100+lb loads in comfort.

All our ultralight packs will be top loaders with no zippers. They will have attachment points for our ultralight Dock n Lock pockets, and Lock n Load pockets. Speaking of pockets, there will be ultralight pockets, Pods, and Grab It.

The packs will come with our new proprietary carbon fiber composite stays. We worked with a company to develop these stays just for us. They are a composite of carbon fiber and exotic hardwood. Together these achieve lightweight and strength. We will be offering composite stay kits for all of our packs as an option.

Along with these new composite stays, we have developed our Precision Lift Plus Stay System, which allows you to choose 2 different stay lengths for each pack. Trust me, it is very slick. For example say you're a 6' 2" guy and want a small 2200ci pack. With any current offering out there you could not get a pack that small to give you shoulder lift. With our KU2200 using 24" stays, this is no longer a problem. Wait till Wed where you can see it all on the website!

Our ultralight program is so large that I could talk for days on here about it, so I will quit for now. I can answer any questions you may have though in the meantime.

Check this link out with photos from a guy that has been using the KU packs in the real world for quite some time now. He has no affiliation with Kifaru whatsoever, and writes for bow hunting magazines and blogs. Here ya go:

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforum…ages=1&forum=5

Mel"

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Let's see a show of hands. How many people want to haul 100-150 pounds in their pack?

–B.G.–

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

…or even half that weight.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Let's see a show of hands. How many people want to haul 100-150 pounds in their pack?"

Hunters, carrying out a kill. There are a few of those folks on BPL.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

If I ever arrow that elk.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I think if I ever tried to carry out 100-150 pounds, somebody else would end up carrying out my own 150-pound corpse.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"somebody else would end up carrying out my own 150-pound corpse."

I'll call your 150-pound corpse, and raise you 30 pounds…..

Which means at least they'd carry you out. They'd take one look at me and turn around and walk away!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Most of us won't need to haul 100 pounds unless we hunt but a pack thats sub 3 lbs for 60 or 70 pounds would be great. I can think of a few cases where this would be really nice.

1. Wilderness Guides, NOL Guides, Scout leaders etc. Not matter how light YOU might go in some cases you need to be ready to carry more group gear. It shouldn't happen but sometimes people get hurt or just can't hack it and you're splitting their pack up among everyone else. I can name at least four cases of this happening right off the top of my head. In those situations being able to add a lot of extra weight without being any more miserable than necessary or damaging your pack is good.

2. Climbing expeditions are going to carry a lot more and this pack would knock about 4 pounds off an average pack designed for that amount of weight.

3. People on really long unsupported trips in remote areas benefit.

4. Hero dad loads with kids could use this. Try going ultralight when dad has his gear plus stuff for mom and the toddler.

Raymond Knechtel

@nuke

This is a big deal for me because right now my pack is almost 1/3 my total weight (including food and water) when I hunt. That's because I need a pack that can handle a heavy load if I get something. This pack would cut almost 5 lbs off my current pack weight. And if I'm not hunting it's still a decently light pack.

For those that don't hunt I still think it would be useful for longer trips or winter camping. The fact that it can take a 100lb load means it should stand up well over time under normal use.

Either way, I think it's an interesting addition to the lightweight pack options out there.

Russell Adams

@rradamsq-com

I hunt as well and it will be interesting to see how this pack stacks up. It is substantially lighter than what I am using now.

For those who don't hunt look at it this way: If a 2-1/2 pound pack (for the smaller model) can carry a hundred+, how light would their pack be that can carry only 15? And from what I can tell, they are doing it without Cuben or Spectra/Dyneema.

Aaron Reichow

@areichow

Locale: Northern Minnesota

This dad carries mom's and the toddler's load- and it isn't 150 lbs! :D

I know a lot of people hunt in places where you would actually want a pack like this… but dang. When you have that much animal to haul, you bring a sled to pull it in, a mule, or horse. But that's just me. :)

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Looks very similar in style to the forthcoming TiGoat pack, which uses a CF sheet instead of stays..

I have to be honest though, considering all the fabric, straps, ccf, etc I see hanging off the pack in the pictures, I'm having a hard time believing the "well under 3lbs" claim if the one in the pictures is the large model. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to be wrong however. The reason I say that is due to the weight of heavy webbing, and there's alot on there. I'm guessing the "stripped" down version weights under 3lbs.

As to how light their pack would be if it could only carry 15lbs? Probably exactly what the lightest UL packs out there that are made using the normal materials are. I seriously doubt there's some major engineering feat here that'll scale down. As you said, they're not even using the lightest materials.

Here's a link to the TiGoat pack: http://www.titaniumgoat.com/pack.html

They list the "Load Limit" as 60+ lbs, but I'm pretty sure it would likely carry as much, and as well as the Kifaru will.

Mel Terkla

@rhino

Locale: Captola Village

Hey guys, I see where my post from our message board made it on here talking about our Ultralight packs soon to be released. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about the ultralight packs and accessories.

Bob Gross, I see you live in the Silicon Valley. I work out of my home for Kifaru out here in Capitola, CA, just over the hill from you. I currently have a KU2200 pack here at my place that you are welcome to check out in person anytime you would like. Just give me a call at 866-308-1911 which is a toll free line direct to my home. Feel free to call day or night.

Mel

Hi Mel

You are required to disclose that you work for Kifaru in ANY posting of this nature. Please remember to do so in the future.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

interesting that they use wood in their stays … i use wood for my frame

maybe i should try mountain a carbon fibre panel … hmmmmm

David Ure

@familyguy

Awesome – sounds like dehydrated water. Can't wait.

Considering Kifaru packs are considerably less comfortable than Mystery Ranch (we won't even discuss Mchale here), and the build quality is less, it will be interesting to see the final product. And the price.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Javan

Its not really fair to them to compare. Our pack is a fully external carbon fiber frame sheet, no wood, and no hyped BS. But on the other hand, our price is going to look allot nicer now ;-) The 60+ number is a real world, actual haul out number that we were testing this summer, the top end depend on who is hauling it and how far. If you read the full story on bowsite, the guy says that he could hardly stand up straight with the 150lbs on the K-pack, comfortable?

The retooling should be complete by the end of Dec, and you are still on the the list for one of the first ones.

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

I have had one of the Kifaru UL 5200 packs for 2 1/2 months. My pack weighed 2 lbs 9 oz. I have had 87 lbs in it ( meat and camp on a sheep hunt,) and it carries better than any pack I have used.

Aron Snyder

@theelkreaper

"It's not really fair to them to compare. Our pack is a fully external carbon fiber frame sheet, no wood, and no hyped BS. But on the other hand, our price is going to look allot nicer now ;-) The 60+ number is a real world, actual haul out number that we were testing this summer, the top end depend on who is hauling it and how far. If you read the full story on bowsite, the guy says that he could hardly stand up straight with the 150lbs on the K-pack, comfortable?"

I'm "the guy" that said he could hardly stand up straight with the 150lb load:)

I'm not sure how many 150lb loads you have carried, but I have carried several…..In several different packs, and I have never been able to stand "erect" with a load like that. I would be more then happy to throw a few 150lb loads on the pack that you are designing and see if I can stand erect, and check it's overall durability as well.

As some of you know, I do pack reviews for just about every pack on the market, so I am pretty impartial to each company, but I would say that it is all about fit and functionality for each individual user and everyone is going to like something different, and as some of you know, my type of hunting is multi day bivy trips and when I come out of the wilderness, I am usually looking at a couple 120-150 lb loads to get everything back to the camp. This pack fits very well into my hunting arsenal and for what type of hunting that I do, but each person is going to have different needs and they may not be the same as mine.

I appreciate the comments (good and bad) and hope everyone has a safe holiday!

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

It's kinda strange to be reading about 150lb loads on BPL! :)

Warren Crow
    BPL Member

@crowculbertson

Locale: Alabama

THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

So she can carry everything.

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Elkreaper

I dont pack 150lbs loads, even on multi day hunts. If its "bivy" camping, "camp" is static and should be less than 10lbs, that is everything but food. Gun or Bow plus meat is the only difference between Light weight backpacking and lighjt weight hunting. I cant eat bones, so there is no sense in packing them. If you really want to do a review, contact us. My sarcasm and kidding, as well as the serious subject matter that went with it, had to do with the way this was presented, and the fact that my stuff was brought up. And yes there are packs that will haul 150 pounds, and you can stand up straight with them on, ours is not one of them either. If you are an impartial gear reviewer, this is not a good first post for you.

Ed

Glad to hear you like it.

Russell Adams

@rradamsq-com

I think you guys might be surprised at how many of the backpack hunting crowd from sites like Bowsite, 24hourcampfire, etc., come onto this site for information. We are just as eager to shed a pound as most dedicated UL backpackers. We just have to deal with a different dynamic in terms of weight. Aron, AKA "The Elk Reaper", has done some remarkable pack reviews on the previously mentioned sites that are well worth the read for anyone interested in packs.

For myself, I am very interested to see what Kifaru has done to get their pack weights down while, hopefully, maintaining load carrying comfort, durability and function.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

"Let's see a show of hands. How many people want to haul 100-150 pounds in their pack?"

The mother-in-law jokes just write themselves.

–Anonymous

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bob Gross, I see you live in the Silicon Valley. I work out of my home for Kifaru out here in Capitola, CA, just over the hill from you. I currently have a KU2200 pack here at my place that you are welcome to check out in person anytime you would like. Just give me a call at 866-308-1911 which is a toll free line direct to my home. Feel free to call day or night."

The two packs that I use most weigh in at 4 ounces or 7 ounces. The Kifaru packs like that would be interesting, but I can't find them on the web site.

–B.G.–

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools