Topic

What trekking poles for TT Sublite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What trekking poles for TT Sublite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

Locale: South of France

Hello!
    I would like to buy a TT Sublite Silnylon, I prefer it for the shape and small weight, but my trekking poles are not high enough, they are 128cm high (about 50 inches, I am mot sure)and I think it is difficult to find 135cm-high poles (about 53 inches).
    What is your experience about that?
    Do you have the same problem? How have you solved it?
    if the poles are extended to maximum they are liable to break, aren't they?
    Is it possible to set the tarp with shorter trekking poles?
    Thank you ,
    Myrtille
    Sorry for my English, I am French.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

I cut two Aluminum tubes down to around 10cm length. The tubes fit into the apex strap of the tent and over the tips of my fixed-length trekking poles.

Depending on the length of your trekking poles, you may need a different size tube than I used.

Good Luck.

-Mike

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

thank you for your advice, it seems a little difficult if I do not see the things

does anyone has bought and used the poles sold on Henri's site?
    Myrtille

Eli .

@feileung

Doesn't the Sublite Sil come w/two aluminum extenders? Are yours in addition to the stock extenders?

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

I have an old Sublite. I think you're right — the new ones appear to come with "pole tip extenders" as shown here:

http://www.tarptent.com/subliteSil2010.html

To the OP: Those are very similar to what I made and would probably work for you. I think you can order them directly from Tarptent for a few dollars. You may need to cut them to the exact length you need.

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

yes, thank you, I have seen the extenders, it seems to work. It would be great!
    I have asked Henry Shires if it was possible to use them for the Sublite…

Myrtille

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Two possible solutions.
    1) Buy a pair of Black Diamond Contour carbon.
    Not the lightest but strong and they do extend to 135cm.
    the double flick lock works and that is why the other manufacturers are all coming out with something "similar"

2) Order the pole extenders listed under accessories as trekking Pole Tip Extender for Double Rainbow.
    (soon to be AND Sublite…)
    You need 2 so that is a total of $3.
    This is a shot of the Tyvek version with poles at 125 cm using those extenders :
    TT Sublite pole ex
    TT Sublite pole ex 1

(excuse the sloppy pitch)
    Franco
    Thanks Michael. I forgot about that link…

Stephen R

@32729

I carry fixed length carbon poles that I like a lot, but the 120cm length is too short if I'm using my BD betalight shelter. Instead of carrying heavier trekking poles I simply put a rock or two underneath the pole to gain the extra length I need. Simple, cheap, effective.

Not sure if that will work with the shelter you referenced, but I've never had any trouble coming up with something to add the extra length. In the winter I simple pile up the some snow to the desired height, pore some water on it, and it's rock solid within a few minutes.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Good idea for a vertical poles but a bit tricky at the angle required with the Sublite, particularly needing two of pretty much the same size.
    The pole handle stays in place by being wrapped inside a pocket.
    Those two extension tubes are just over 1 oz total.

With my previous BD poles the bottom section was fixed, so occasionally I put a boot (runner) under it to lift it without having to adjust it.
    (not recommended in strong winds…)
    Franco

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Martine,

I have a Sublite and have a set of the optional poles. They work very well and don't weigh that much. The pole extender – aluminum tube, suggested above, sounds like an easy fix.

kevperro .
    BPL Member

@kevperro

Locale: Washington State

The cheap Walmart Trekking poles extend to 53" (135cm) if you need an inexpensive solution. They are $19/pr and I'm very happy with them. I've been using Trekking Poles for going on twenty years and they work just like the expensive ones. They are 10.5 oz each if the weight matters to you (it doesn't to me).

Or…. Henry sells the option aluminum poles for $15 & 5oz.

Samuel Kau
    Spectator

@skau

Locale: Southern California

I haven't tried this but Joe from zpacks sells really lightweight tent poles that you could consider.

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

Thank you very much for your help

First Franco, about your second solution, Henri wrote me that the Sublite sil already has built-in trekking-pole tip extenders designed to extend 135cm to 145cm and that they do not have longer ones to replace them (to take 125cm – standard trekking-poles length- to 145 cm). I did ask him about the pole extenders for Double Rainbow, these extenders do not suit for the sublite they are not long enough, because he did not mention them.

It is very tricky, the best solution , I guess, would be to get longer extenders to extend 125cm to 145cm, but I do not know how to get that and where.
    I do not feel like putting some rock under to get the right length… sorry

Henry confirmed there does not exist optional poles for the sublite

I would consider the Walmart trekking poles, as well as lightweight tent poles

I want to find a solution to be able to buy the tarptent I prefer,
    I am a bit surprised it is so tricky to get the right extenders and also the explanations are different according the Sublite’s users …
    So I am looking forward to hearing from you!

Myrtille

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I have a Sublite and a 2010 Sublite Sil. I have used these poles with them.

http://www.rei.com/product/784271

http://www.eastonmountainproducts.com/trekking/ctr-70

Most trekking pole companies make long enough poles to work. If your heart is set on the Sil (and it is a great tent)a new set of poles may be in order.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Martine
    Apologies about my wrong info.
    That was correct for the Sublite Tyvek not the current version of the Sil version.

A couple of solutions apart from getting new poles.
    I went to the local hardware store and purchased a 3 foot bamboo stick (from the garden section, $1.95, 55 g for the 2 10" section) and a 2 meter aluminium bathroom rail (($12, 60g)
    Cut both down to 10" long the required length for your existing poles.
    I then filed the inside of the bamboo so that it sort of matches with the pole tip (of my poles…) sort of inverted V shape.
    10" pole ext
    Sublite plus 10
    The aluminium tube I just cut to size and that was it. ( I actually used a metal file to "cut" that 'cause I could not be bother getting my Dremel out)
    For the bamboo I would suggest wrapping the bit that the pole tip goes in with same gaffer tape (cloth tape) just in case.
    The aluminium I have is about twice as thick as the Easton from TT so pretty safe.
    BTW, this is my way of doing things, not an official TT suggestion.
    Franco

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have a Sublite, tyvek not Silnylon. I use Gossamer Gear LT4 poles. If you want to extend your current poles you can puchase aluminum tubes from Enco or rsearch carbon fiber tubes, I was looking at poles for a pyramid tent and found options. You can custom cut them to the required length with a dremel tool.

MARTINE LAVOCAT

@myrtille

Thank you for all the detailed answers

I will consider the solution of getting new trekking poles, the ones you propose Raymond are interesting ,
    But first I will try to fiddle something with bamboo and aluminium tubes as you describe Marco, that is interesting!
    or with carbon fiber tubes
    the good thing is that, thanks to your couple of solutions, I feel okay to buy the Sublite TT now and
    I hope it is a great tent !

I still have a question about wind protection in tarptent, some hikers say it is like sleeping outside !

I may add a new post to get some hikers’ experiences

Thanks very much for your help and photos to make it clear!

Myrtille

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools