Topic

quilt inside bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) quilt inside bag?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Sullivan

@thepitbull

Locale: San Diego

Has anyone had any experience using a quilt inside of a sleeping bag for seriously cold conditions? I am curious to see if it is possible to put a 20 deg quilt (perhaps a Nunatak arc alpinist) inside of a wide sized sleeping bag, such as the WM kodiak. Perhaps that would be a modular alternative to a WM Bison or something like that? Any insight would be appreciated

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Tonight I put my quilt both over and inside my WM Megalite bag. The greatest loft is, of course, when the quilt is over the bag.

Getting the quilt to stay in place in either mode requires sewing some Velcro or snaps on the bag and quilt. Four of either should do it. Guess I'll have to get out the needle and thread. Snaps require less sewing than Velcro and may be more secure. Also Velcro tends to pick up debris.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

Eric, would the 'typical' straps for quilts work instead?

Ryan Sullivan

@thepitbull

Locale: San Diego

that's an interesting way to get the bags to fit together. Never occurred to me. I think i'm going to give the snaps a try, but I think i might use some sort of gnarly double sided tape or something before I commit to permanently altering my bag. Did you personally feel more comfortable (or warmer) with the quilt outside of the bag?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools