Topic

Skin tight soft shell pants.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Skin tight soft shell pants.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    patrick walsh

@apbt1976

I am looking for something that is stretchable, breathable, windproof to wind resistant and tight fitting. No real lining just a wind water resistant shell.

I need to find both a mens and woman's option but more important a woman's option as my mother is in the market for a soft shell pant and i think she would be most happy with something that fits like a pair of tights. I needs to stretch very well though as a light weight mid weight and heavy weight base need to be able to fit under it depending on the temps?

I on the other hand would like something that fits slim in the hips groin and crotch and tight on the legs. Anyone have any ideas?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Check out a running specialty shop like Road Runner Sports.

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

So do you guys think winter running clothing would have the same technology as far as windproof water resistant?

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Is that you and your dog in the pic. I have two dogs that are by my side 27/7/365…

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Patrick,

You need to check out the Patagonia Traverse pants or the Patagonia Coolweather tights. Those 2 off the top of my head fit within your parameters for your mother as well as what you're looking for. The Traverse pants fit like a semi-fitted track pant, not skin tight but form fitting, whereas the Coolweather tights are indeed a well made tight… skin and package hugging tight.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

http://www.backcountry.com/under-armour-evo-coldgear-tight-womens?cmp_id=&rrType=ViewedPurchasedPercent&rrProd=UND0251

1/2 price of the Patagonia
    ua's performance clothing is perfect. like most top end gear, it crosses many sports/fitness endevours.

Val C

@goosebumps

I've been wearing an old pair of Zone 3 Sporthill tights made of this stuff–

http://www.sporthill.com/3sp-fabrics.php

Love them, very comfy but everything in the world sticks to them. Just bought another pair tho.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Look at Pearl Izumi tights, especially the AmFib tight.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!
    joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

As Eugene mentioned, the Patagonia Traverse pants are amazing. Stretchy, light, comfortable and pretty hard-wearing. They're not that 'fitted' though.

Haglofs do a similar pant, the Intense Pant, that is more 'fitted' than the Traverse (ignore the 'relaxed cut' in the description, they mean it's more relaxed than a tight) but with a similar 'soft-shell' material.

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/clothing/layers/mid-layer/men/intense_pant_en-us.aspx

If you're after just a close fitting weather resistant 'shell' then try out the Montane Featherlite Pants:

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/windproof/featherlite-pants/105

or the Haglofs Shield Pants:

http://www.haglofs.com/en-US/products/clothing/layers/shell-layer/men/shield_pant_en-us.aspx

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my wife uses a pair of these and loves them- year round too- backpacking to x-country skiing

as Eugene mentioned- they are indeed tights

patrick walsh

@apbt1976

Thanks for the help everyone. I think it was the review you did on the Rab Alpine Pullover that made up my mind on a wind shell. To bad it has not arrived yet as i could use it as i will be getting up at 3:30 am t drive to NH and climb Mount Washington tomorrow and i would love to try it out!!

I have noticed those Montane pants before and liked them, i also noticed i down coat cant remember the name made my montane and i like it also but was not sure it would be warm enough for winter in the whites when stopped or at camp. Do you have any info on that coat?

I do however want something that is form fitting and will not bunch above my gators so i think it might end up being a wind block running pant of sorts?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Patrick asked, "Is that you and your dog in the pic. I have two dogs that are by my side 27/7/365…"

Yup, that's Toby, an Australian Shepherd tri-color. We adopted him a couple years ago. He has his own pack and goes crazy when it comes out of the closet.

Toby

Josh Newkirk
    BPL Member

@newkirk

Locale: Washington/Alaska

Nice lookin Aussie shepherd Dale. I think I have seen more Aussie shepherds in the states then I saw while living down under for the last 7 years.

Are your pics of the cascades? I-90 corridor?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Strange thing about Australian Shepherds— so the story goes— they were bred in the American West/Great Basin and were named after a pair was brought in from Australia in the 1960's. I don't have direct verification of that, but read of it when researching the breed.

I had friends with 500 goats and 6 Aussies. Nothing messed with the goats :) Scary smart, very protective of family and home. He's a real gentleman on the trail and I *do* use a leash.

My avatar photo is at Heather Lake with Mount Pilchuck in the background. (see http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/heather-lake-1). It is a short steep hike to the lake and the photo was taken in February, when there would normally be a few feet of snow. We had taken him off his lead as no one was there and he ran back and forth on the boardwalk and slipped off into the icy lake. There was a log next to the boardwalk, allowing him to climb out quickly. He gave my wife a cold shower when shaking himself off– note the wet boards.

The photo of Toby is on the I-90 corridor near the start of the Annette Lake trail (see http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/annette-lake)

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

"I have noticed those Montane pants before and liked them, i also noticed i down coat cant remember the name made my montane and i like it also but was not sure it would be warm enough for winter in the whites when stopped or at camp. Do you have any info on that coat?"

Patrick, do you mean the Montane North Star jacket? I have one and I've never been cold in it but I'm not sure what kind of temperatures you need it for. The coldest I've been sat around in it is around -13F but that was just a long lunch break on a very windy ski day trip. The hood is awesome and the quality is good.

If you don't need the protective hood or such a weather resistant shell then the new Rab Infinity may be a slightly lighter option.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools