Topic

How cold would this do for you?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How cold would this do for you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Planning on packing thiss weekend in Northern PA, (Thunder Swamp Trail). Expecting mid 20's at night and maybe some light snow. For sitting around the camp I have the pants setup and shoe setup that always work for me. Trying some newer lighter gear for the torso though.

Cap 3
    MontBell Inner Down Parka
    MontBell Thermawrap Vest
    Avalanche Fleece Jacket
    Marmot Precip as outerlayer

I have worn it in lower 30's standing for 1.5 hours in a park right along the Hudson River around 6/7am. It worked.

Thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I usually run cold, but think that those layers will be more than enough. Just make sure that the puffy layers don't get compressed with the the other layers on top.

Might want to think about what you'll be sitting on. I like the single foam section that I use in my Mariposa pack to give me some insulation between me and the log or rock I'm sitting on.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Mark,

That list would be sufficient for me to 20F easily. I'd even consider losing the Montbell Thermawrap vest and using just the Capilene 3 next to skin, throw the Avalanche fleece (what weight?) on as a midlayer, and then layer the Montbell Down Inner Parka over those 2 layers. Those 3 will give you a flexible layering system for hiking in the day, and staying warm at camp while still. The Montbell Down Inner Parka functions very well at cutting the wind. If you need the Precip then you have that in the pack as usual to go over everything else as wind/moisture deterrent against down compromise, just make sure it fits over the other 3 layers without compressing the down severely like Tom suggested.

My average layering system is very similar to yours for temps around 20-30F at night. But I don't hang out of my quilt for very long at camp, and humidity is almost always a non-issue.

Capilene 1 sleeveless T (occasionally)
    BPL Beartooth Hoody (base next-to-skin)
    Montbell Down Inner Parka (mid-layer)
    Marmot Mica or Montbell Tachyon anorak (pending weather)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i use something similar down to the mid/high 20s

base, cap4, exlight, atom lt

Weiyi Wang
    Spectator

@wwyjedi

Locale: mid

toasty in montbell inner jacket, wm flash vest, r1 hoody and essence jacket.

Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

I run Hot. Love the cold. I have a BPL Beartooth Hoody that I use for the day while hiking.

My MontBell Inner is a Large which is fitting for me. The Vest is an XL. The Fleece and Precip are roomy. Real XL's. I call American Cut clothing. I bought them for that option of layering.

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools