Topic

Wearable sleeping bag

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wearable sleeping bag

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Like the Raku, sort of:

http://www.lippiselkbag.co.uk/

Anybody have any thoughts/ experience with it?

Stargazer

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i wouldnt wear this in bible territory … youll get chased down for being a telletubby (apologies too all bibble thumpers on BPL) … lol

based on the 45F female comfort rating … that likely means a 32F or so male lower limit comfort …3-4 lbs is quite heavy for a 32F bag

a 32 F synth bag and 170 g/m synth parka wold be around the same weight but be more flexible and redundant in case of failure … and take you to colder temps when used toghether

The new MusucBag replaces our best selling Selk'Bag1 and is developed with warmth and value for money in mind. It's ideal for summer festivals or camping and a comfortable option for indoor use or lounging around at home.

Technical Specification

Sizing:
    Medium – up to 5ft 7
    Large – up to 6ft 1
    Extra Large – up to 6ft 5
    If you are between sizes please go for larger size.

Weight:
    Medium 1.79kg / 3.35lbs
    Large 1.97kg / 4.35lbs
    Extra Large 2.20kg / 4.85lbs

Filling: Hollow fiber bonded 2x100g/sqm
    Shell: Polyester Taffeta 70D/210T
    Lining: Polyester Diamond 50D/290T

Comfort Temperature: 7ºC / 45ºF*
    Extreme Temperature: -13ºC / 9ºF*

* As tested by European EN 13537 standard (EU NORM)

Comfort: The comfort rating is based on a 'standard' adult woman having a comfortable night's sleep.

Extreme: The extreme rating is a survival only rating for a 'standard' adult woman. This is an extreme survival rating only and it is not advisable to rely on this rating for general use.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I don't know the system, but I suspect that a traditional sleeping bag or quilt would be warmer per ounce for sleeping.

I do use an "Exped Wallcreeper" sleeping bag at times, but I think it is more efficient as a sleeping system as it doesn't have all the exposed surfaces around the appendages.

I justify the Wallcreeper as the only time I tend to really need that kind of warmth is at night and especially in the early morning when I break camp in the cold. So I don't have to bring a down jacket for early mornings if I use the Wallcreeper.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

We sell the Kids version. I'm too lazy to make sure they are the same. If they are, I wouldn't get the Selk bag, personally. I think it is not made quite well enough for my standards. (oh, hush- not high enough for yours either, probably) ;)

To me it feels like a high end Slumberjack.

The foot 'soles' are just some high denier nylon, not tough enough I think. Like the bottom of a crappy backpack.

I think I've said enough.

FWIW I was interested in this till I got to see it personally. Stick with the Big Boy ones (Nuna/ Exped)

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

Rather in-depth overview of the Exped Dreamwalker.

YouTube video

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You're probably right Steven, but I gotta tell you, I love my Raku. It's big and bulky and makes me look like the Michelin Man (as opposed to my normal Pillsbury Dough Boy look). But when I get to camp, set up my shelter and then put that thing on for dinner, I'm warming up my sleeping bag. When it's time to crawl into my shelter for the evening, I'm 'crawling into' an already warm sleeping bag, while everyone else is crawling into a cold sleeping bag that they have to warm up.

Yup, love my Raku!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

id be scared shatless of getting a wearable down bag wet in the PNW … get it soaked and id be one dead azn ….

Ceph Lotus
    BPL Member

@cephalotus

Locale: California

I saw the Selk'Bag hanging in the sleeping bag section in a local store. I noticed there wasn't any clear way to stick your feet out the bottom, so you have to walk around the on sleeping bag footpads. The footpads were reinforced, but they aren't really shoes, so it would appear to me the footpads would be the first thing to wear out on this sleeping pad. Also, I'm not sure if you'd want to be walking around wearing this on a wet ground. I don't think the Selk'Bag is waterproof.

Dug Shelby

@pittsburgh

Locale: Bay Area

Wait a second!

You're ASIAN?

But yeah, I'm not imressed overall. If you think about body heat & trapping it, then isolating your extremities doesn't make much sense. But I'm no genius, could be wrong…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

I don't think you saw a Raku. For one, I doubt it'd be hanging in a local store somewhere, and the Raku doesn't have foot pads, it opens at the bottom so you walk on your feet in your shoes. Pull your shoes off when you 'get into bed,' slide the bottom of the Raku down around your feet, and cinch it shut.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

You didn't see the Raku.

The Nunatak Raku doesn't have feet…

Edit: Doug beat me to it… :)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"If you think about body heat & trapping it, then isolating your extremities doesn't make much sense."

FWIW, when you sleep in a Raku, you bring your arms inside the 'bag.' If it's really cold, you bring the sleeves inside the bag as well, but still with your arms outside of the sleeves but in the bag.

Quite toasty.

Joseph Reeves
    Spectator

@umnak

Locale: Southeast Alaska

I don't get it. How about a primaloft jacket and a pair of puffball pants instead? At least I can wear those on small aircraft in Western Alaska without people thinking I am weird.

I mean, why would anyone want to wear their sleeping bag around camp, spilling dinner on it or walking too close to the campfire? I'm with Eric Chan on this. I saw something similar a couple of years ago that did have feet and thought it silly, this is as bad. Of course this is just MHO.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I'm surprised no one mentioned it. Nice bag! I used conventional bags for yrs before settling on the Rock Wren. However, in the last year, I have been combining my Western Mountaineering Flash jacket and pants with a lighter summer weight bag. Though this combo is ~3-4oz heavier, it is just as warm as the Rock Wren alone and is more versatile. If you're simply sitting around camp cooking or shooting the breeze, the comfort of the Rock Wren on a cool eve or morning is fantastic. It's bumbling to walk around and do general camp chores in though. All that said, mine doesn't get used much anymore…though I can't bring myself to sell it. My wife has one as well which she likes.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I don't get it."

For what I use it for, it's great. (Of course, I also don't care if people think I'm weird, that's a daily thing for me, I'm used to it….).

I also certainly wouldn't want to get it wet, so I don't! I've never spilled dinner on it or walked too close to a campfire with it on, so no worries there.

When I hike on my own or with the small groups I generally go with, I go all day – no stops, not even for lunch. So I don't need anything to keep me warm during stops. I get to camp pretty close to sundown. I set up my sleeping arrangements for the evening, gather wood if necessary (though I'm not that big on campfires, I help others if they want them, I don't have one if alone). If we're campfiring I help get that going.

Then I get into my Raku, and I'm toasty from that point on til morning. No need for extra jacket and pants.

I certainly don't use it every cold weather trip, but I really enjoy it when I do. I recognize, though, that it's not for everyone.

Trill Daddy
    BPL Member

@persianpunisher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHGgjDjAoo8

Check out the link, I interviewed the folks at Exped about it…

Any feedback appreciated

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Skip Dreamwalker Series. It's lighter to take a Western Mountaineering or Montbell and a jacket.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools