Topic

Sublite Sil – Room for the Dog?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sublite Sil – Room for the Dog?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Hello,

I would like to switch to the new Sublite Sil from TarpTent. Would there be room for a Border Collie sized dog (50 pounds)? I think there would be enough floor space but I wonder about him standing up and moving around due to the wall angles and bug mesh.

I read a review that a female and a five year old slept in this tent so it makes me think it would be okay but would like some feedback.

Thanks,
    Eric

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Go with the contrail over the sublite.
    I have the sublite in tyvek and while there may be enough room for you both it will probably be uncomfortable if either of you move at all.

I slept in mine with my dog once. She was not happy being confined and I spent the night holding her in the tent.

Getting into the tent was also awkard cause of the flap door.

The contrail allows you to enter straight into the tent and has a great vestibule where your dog can sleep next to you yet have plenty of room and not damage the floor or netting.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Tyler,

Thanks for the detailed information. I should have mentioned I currently have a Rainbow model Tarptent that has plenty of room and I really like. Just looking for ways to drop some weight on longer trips. I haven't ruled out the "floorless / netless" options yet but just keep coming back to the Tarp Tent brand for the floor and insect protection.

Eric

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

If you are looking to drop some weight i'd recommend something floorless for sure. That way you can drop some significant weight and not have to worry about your dog damaging anything.

Check out the Zpacks Hexamid tarp (or tent even, the net floor might work out great with your pup)

A dog is the best hiking partner. There is really nothing like it.

carl becker
    Spectator

@carlbecker

Locale: Northern Virginia

I have a Sublite, tyvek and have looked at the new Sublite Sil 2010. The 2010 Sil is larger and has a vestibule. Depending on the dog it seems like there is enough room. I also have a MLD Solomid which is probably to small for the both of you but it only weighs 15 ounces complete. A Duomid is larger and heavier but it would probably be perfect. You could talk to Henry and see what he thinks. Maybe purchase it to check out in the backyard. Return it if it does not work. I have a 70 pound retriever mut but I don't take her with me.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I agree with Tyler. The Contrail I used to own has plenty of room for even a standard German Shepherd.

My TT Moment has only room for a dog in the vestibule, which, with a ground cloth for the dog, would be OK even in the rain B/C the Moment's floor can be pulled off the Velcro and moved back about 6 more inches without crowding you inside the tent. This setup sould also keep any fleas and ticks the dog picks up out of the tent (and off of you).

Having owned both the the Contrail and the Moment I'd take the Moment for its ease of setup, wind stability and better ventilation plus its nice vestibule.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

If you do consider floorless take a look at the MLD Duomid. It seems like it could fit the bill.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Thanks for your input everyone! Currently thinking GoLite Shangri-La 1, going to do a little more research though.

Eric

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools