Topic

2nd week of Nov/SW USA help.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips 2nd week of Nov/SW USA help.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

So I have the first two weeks of Nov. off work. Thinking of going somewhere the second week of Nov (7-8th onward) for 3-5 day outing.

Weatherwise, I'm thinking of either Joshua Tree or the Superstitions. Though any good ideas welcome for areas outside the SW USA. However, I'm not set for camping too much below freezing.

I could rent a car (not a dealbreaker) but no car even better. As much as I'd to hike a wicked trail, I don't think I can drive off road in a rental (4×4 to trailhead).

Any suggestions, opinions, if-it-was-you ideas welcome.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm desperate to get out of this rain.

Thanks in advance.

Will Webster

@willweb

We're heading to AZ the last 2 weeks of November. Going to do the Santa Ritas (from Madera Canyon), Superstitions (Peralta trailhead), and Grand Canyon (probably too late for you to get a permit but there's some awesome dayhiking). All should be easily accessible with a conventional rental car.

You might want to post on hikearizona.com. Lots of helpful folks there with local knowledge.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I'm also looking for a hike for veterans' Day weekend- though preferably in the central four corners area. And, lo and behold, I find your post!

I'm thinking about revisiting Great Sand Dunes NP. It's easy to get to with a rental car, though the drive is long compared to most fly-in-and-rent-a-car hikes. It's a beautiful place, but in a way very different from other national parks. It backs on the Sangre de Cristo Wilderness, and several trails lead into the wilderness from the park, so if the weather cooperates you can still head into the mountains.

Any other suggestions are welcome. I live in Colorado Springs, so almost all of the four corners area is in easy driving distance. I remember several posts on this forum about canyon country in Utah this time of year, and any ideas along those lines are very welcome. I'd like to avoid slushy weather, but merely cold is fine, and dry snow that isn't deep enough to posthole is fine. (I have no skis or snowshoes.) I'm also thinking of avoiding higher elevations, as weather this time of year is unpredictable.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools