Topic

MiniBullDesigns Trek 3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews MiniBullDesigns Trek 3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    John Chan

@ouroboros

The MBD Trek 3 is the fully pressurized version of their original side-burner. There is no priming cup. You must add the denatured alcohol via small hole on top of the stove after unscrewing a wing-nut. This version of the stove differs from the Trek 2 in that Tinny has added a band of fiberglass wicking material to the base of the stove which is suppose to replace the need for a priming pan. About 5-6 drops of alcohol are needed on the wick to prime the stove. The stove does not have an insulated base so its probably a good idea to use an aluminum tin under it to for greater efficiency.
    Also included with the stove is a useful aluminum windscreen. It seems to fit my 1.3 L Vargo pot quite well but a little tweaking always helps to minimize side-flames. The MBD Trek 3 will boil 800 mL of water (starting @ 20 C) in 6 1/2 minutes. Burn out time with 1.5 oz denatured alcohol is 8 minutes which does not agree with the manufacturers’ specifications however, I have not taken the time to optimize the system yet. I have noticed though, that the jetting is aggressive (larger holes compared to my homemade stoves) and this might account for the side-flames and shorter burn time. Overall, I’m happy with the performance and the freedom from carrying an additional potstand. Perhaps with a little more tweaking that 4 will become a 5.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools