Topic

Solo UL Sierra Gear List Summer 2010

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Solo UL Sierra Gear List Summer 2010

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I'm interested in any feedback you'all may have to offer on my summer gear list.

At the beginning of this summer I realized it was time to replace my old Boy Scout era external frame pack. It was finally just disintegrating after years of use and washing. This list is a work in progress, part of my summer journey that started with a new 6.2 lb Osprey Argon full suspension 'expedition' pack and ended with a 7.4 oz GG Murmur. In the middle I tried a GG Gorilla, a Miniposa and various tents and tarps as I got more comfortable with lightening the load.

Taking a close look at the gear lists on BPL has been really helpful along the way. Thanks.

The list is on my profile and community gear list pages.

This is from a solo trip to Sportsman Lake. I was trying out the Gatewood Cape & Net Tent (nasty bugs).

My solo campsite on Sportsman Lake. . .using the Gatewood Cape as a shelter & rain gear.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Great List–Seems like you have all your gear in order. What is your time duration? 3 days 2 nights? Just a overnighter or 7 days 6 nights? Your gear list will always change on longer trips….

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

It's good to see you go out with 18 oz of FOOD per day.

You must have carefully monitored your data to have a tidy number like that. Right on for you!

Mike C!

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Thanks for your comments!

The list is for a 3 day/2 night off-trail summer sierra trip. I will probably need to add some weight during colder temps this winter.

The 18 oz/day of food just seems to always work out that way. After packing up all the food for a pre-trip weigh-in it usually comes in right at 15 oz/day, so I add a 3 oz power bar for each day just in case.

I appreciate your suggested gear list etiquette posts Mike C. Nice! . . and I live for that Via instant java on the trail, but I'll be trying out that Javette concentrate on my next trip. Thnx.

Peace, Andy.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

good looking gear list :) do have a question though- I see you don't pack a windshirt, but instead pack a rain jacket- how has the Triumph worked in the capacity as a windshirt?

Curious as I've done just the opposite (for the most part anyways)- leaving my rain jacket and packing my windshirt (Pat. Houdini). I'm assuming (maybe wrongfully) that the Sierra's are similar to the Rockies in the summer in that showers tend to be infrequent and brief events.

I find I use my windshirt daily- higher, exposed ridges/passes; buggy camp/rest stop; when I need additional warmth to my ex light, etc

thanks

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Thanks for your comments Mike. The Triumph is the lightest wind/rain 'jacket' I could find online. I replaced the original metal zipper clasps with lightweight rope to save a little weight.

Summer storms in the Sierras are usually brief afternoon events much like the Rockies. I got a light shower in the early evening at 9,250 ft one night.

I used the long sleeve synthetic t-shirt as a wind shirt in the evenings and at the top of Mt. Nelson this summer. When I got to the summit an afternoon storm was heading south. As it got windy and cold I added layers as needed (long t-shirt, gloves, warm hat) but I didn't need the TNF Anorak that day. Although I always pack it I haven't needed it all summer.

I'm heading out the second weekend of October into the Sierras for a three day trip and may get a chance to try out the Triumph as it will probably be getting colder and windier by then. Until then, enjoying the summer.

Thnx. Andy.

Miles Kan

@mileskan

Great list. It's very similar to what I'm putting together right now. Only thing I think is different is my Timex ironman watch is 1.5 oz… saves you an ounce.. haha.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

thanks miles, i appreciate the tip on the iron man watch, anything to save another ounce or two. i've heard that every extra pound in the weight of your boots is like carrying six pounds in your pack. . . i wonder what the extra ounce on the watch counts for? ha ha.

the suunto altimeter watch seems to be the watch/altimeter/compass of choice for most ul guys. glen van peski (gossamer gear) and ryan jordan (bpl publisher/founder) both have the suunto on their gear lists.

if you're interested, check out glen van peski's sub 3 pound gear list. at 2.89 lb base weight his pack might start carrying his gear for him: http://www.gossamergear.com/gossamergear/images/gear_lists/Glen_sub_3.pdf

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools