Topic

Best light 3-man tent, 3+Seasons

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best light 3-man tent, 3+Seasons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Robert Altshuler

@rclive

Hi I'm new to the forum and need some advice on a new tent.
    I do most of my camping in the late summer and Fall. So no real winter but the temperature can get down into the 20's at night and you might get a foot of snow. These are the criteria:
    – 3 person (its for 2 actually, but I want more room)
    – Not too heavy, 7 pounds max
    – can withstand high winds and multiple days of rain
    – 3+ seasons (But minimal mosquito netting canopy)
    – vents well
    – can handle occasional snow

I really like what I've read about Hilleberg tents but I'm not sure they would work for me.
    The domes (Allak, Staika, and Jannu) are either a bit heavy or a bit too small.
    The tunnels (Nallo 3GT and Kaitum 3) seem really nice and fit the criteria , but they are very long.
    I do a lot of hiking in the White Mnts of New Hampshire, so camping is usually in forests and sometimes on tent platforms(8'x10').
    So I'm not sure how easy it would be to set up in these circumstances. On the Kaitum, I guess you could roll up one of the vestibules?
    Staking out is not usually a problem (my current tent Mountain Hardwear Skyview 3 needs quite a few).
    Other tents I am looking at are domes:

MSR Mutha Hubba HP
    Nemo Losi 3P Storm
    Big Agnes Copper UL3

Given that its very difficult to see any of these tents in person any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David Ure

@familyguy

I was going to say the Mutha Hubba HP. The Hubba Hubba HP was tested here with great results and I would think the 3 person version would do well.

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Robert, I know a number of friends (and no shortage of BPLers) who are very happy with BA 3-person tents, but I find them irritating; IMO the Fly Creek geometry seems to cheat you out of half a tent, and the Copper Spur cross pole has nearly taken my eye out on more than one occasion.

I've been extraordinarily happy with Nemo tents — on the heavy side, yes, but you get a lot of well-made tent for your money and the customer service is first-rate. The Losi design is bombproof and right up your alley; I'm not sure they have all the kinks worked out of the Losi Storm versions yet. Fly security on the 3P Storm is a recurrent complaint.

Have you thought about a Nemo Espri 3P? Most of the room of a Losi Storm for a pound less; a good deal of mesh but as the recent BPL review of the Espri 2 demonstrates, more than capable in winter conditions. You could use the $100 savings over the 3P Storm to get the trekking pole vestibule, too.

My 2c.

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

I have a Hubba Hubba HP as well as the regular Hutha Hubba, and I've been very happy with both. I think the MH HP sounds perfect for you if you can swallow the price tag. I've used the regular MH in the winter, but the HP would be warmer and lighter.

It's VERY roomy for two, with lots of headroom near the edges and two doors and vestibules. I use my MH for two people with full racks of alpine climber gear as a base camp tent, and as a family backpacking tent for trips with my wife and 2-year old.

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

MSR Mutha Hubba HP:
    40 sqft tent, 14 sqft vestibule.
    68" wide x 84" long x 46" high.
    6lb 4oz min weight.
    $418 lowest web price, e-OMC.com

Nemo Losi Storm 3P:
    50 sqft tent, 24 sqft vestibule.
    79" wide x 91" long x 48" high.
    5lb 14oz min weight.
    $369 lowest web price, basegear.com

More tent for less weight and less money. Intangibles such as fly color preference not accounted for. :)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

TarpTent: Rainshadow 2 $265.00
    42oz
    W-92/78 inches
    L-94 inches
    H-48 inches
    This tent is simply awesome IMHO!!!!!!

Robert Altshuler

@rclive

Thanks for all your suggestions

No comments from any Hilleberg owners on the Kaitum and the Nallo, but I seem to be moving closer to a dome tent anyway. The terrain in New England seems better suited to a smaller footprint, and I’ve been using a bigger heavier dome for awhile so I know the complications and (some of the) solutions.

The Mutha Hubba HP is #1 (so far). The review in BPL was very positive.
    I like the size and the weight, below the 7 lb limit. Venting seems very good, with the side windows. Good 3+ season performance. Set-up is very straight forward.
    On the down side.
    I just realized that with the HP version, you won’t be able to look through the doors without opening them (no full netting possibility). The vestibules seem adequate, but I really liked the vestibules on the Hilleberg tunnel tents. (also shame the green color is not available in the US)

The Nemo Esprit is a really interesting suggestion.
    The weight is fantastic at 4.9lbs. Love the multiple vestibule idea (the trekking pole vestibule is really nice). Given review, 3+ season performance seems good. And it seems like a great small company – a big plus.
    On the downside
    The 40” ceiling is a little low. It’s a single door design (not the end of the world)
    The front door can let water in when opened(in review). I’ve had this happen on a 1980’s dome tent and it was a pain.

The Nemo Losi Storm 3p is still in the running.
    The weight is the same as the MSR. If the numbers are comparable, its bigger than the MSR (50 vs 40 sq feet) and ceiling height 47” vs 46” for MSR. The vestibule seems a lot bigger as well, although it doesn’t look it in the photos (24 sq ft vs 14). It seems well made. Good 3+ season performance.
    On the downside
    Setup (and takedown) seems a bit more complicated.

William, what was the problem with the fly on the Losi Storm?

So still thinking and looking at reviews, but will decide next week.

Clive

BTW these videos were useful:
    Mutha Hubba HP (in French): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojZfTmAXEKM
    Mutha Hubba: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSP-vrSVT2k&NR=1
    Nemo losi 3p: http://climbwiththecrimps.com/?p=245
    Nemo losi 3p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWUmLT8QlfY

Robert Altshuler

@rclive

William beat me too it. Yes I guess The Nemo storm is bigger for the same weight. Do you know what the problem was with the fly?

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

You can find the complaints on the Losi Storm 3P review page of a certain mass-market outfitter… follow the green vests. I've seen similar remarks elsewhere. The gripes are, briefly, lack of a stake point in the middle of the the 79" side of the fly (whatever, slap a grip clip on there) and difficulty getting the reinforced parts of the fly to seat correctly over the brow poles. The second one would be more of an issue for me, as I'd not want to put a hole in the fly. Based on past experience, should that happen, Nemo customer service would be on it in a snap.

In any case, I'll be able to tell you soon, as I just ordered one. I've been looking for the same qualities as Robert listed in a roomy all-season tent for me & GF, and writing the specs versus the MSR out like that, I talked myself into it. :)

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I'm trying to understand you requirement about netting. Do you want minimal netting to prevent spindrift? 7 lbs. as an upper limit includes many choices. I like Alps Mountaineering tents for value. Very low cost for a freestanding tent, with good details and heavier duty flies and zippers.The Zephyrs and Zeniths are good but all mesh. Others have much less mesh. But I'm also using a Coleman Peak 1 Cobra for my light weight rig. Not freestanding but great vestibules. These are all ultra cheap compared to your current choices.

Robert Altshuler

@rclive

Ok, I saw that review, one of only two I could find. He wanted the additional stake point. Otherwise, according to the youtube video (i gave the link) on how to erect the tent, the orientation of these two reinforced points was to be used as a visual aid to alignment. So..?

To Jay: I think tarp tents for some kinds of trips are a great idea. But we often set up a base camp and do different day hikes, so I would have to remove the hiking poles from the tent each morning and secure the tent somehow.

To John: The idea behind less netting is better (and I may be wrong) is that its warmer (less drafty as well) and there's less problem with dust (which we had when camping in the Southwest)

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Robert, You can get tent poles from TT–I have a pair of them for that same reason…They are light weight and sturdy–No problem.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I hear you about sand. Awful in Big Bend, Zion, etc.

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Robert, watched the video — right you are. I used to have a Losi 2P and was familiar with the grommeted fly attachment… one gripe down. Feel even better about my purchase now. :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I just looked at the Losi Storm and saw its unacceptable weakness: namely the fly door, when fully opened, will allow rain & snow to fall in on the tent floor when the inner door is opened.

Why the heck didn't they make the pole that arches over the door extend out further so the fly can cover the inner tent door & floor????
    "Storm" my foot! This is a fair weather tent.

Will Newton
    BPL Member

@newts-2

Eric, did you see the tent in person? Hard to tell on the pictures. I used to have a Losi 2P (I don't believe the fly door height has changed on the Storm models) and could enter and leave it in driving rain without getting anything inside. If properly tensioned, the brow poles will overhang the vertical tent inner door by at least 2-3".

Granted, a tunnel-style vestibule gives you more coverage, but among the tents Robert's considering I'm not sure you'll find a substantially better option.

Sean Brenckman
    BPL Member

@seanbrenckman

Locale: Minnesota

+1 on the Rainshadow 2…

You can buy a pole through tarptent for a cost of $10 (I think).

It meets all of your needs and is by far the lightest option at 2.5 lbs. I can't imagine loading a 7lb tent into my pack again.

Also, with all of the tieouts staked out, it will handle more than wind than you will likely through at it.

My wife and I have actually found ours to be a little too big, especially since we share a couples quilt. We would be pefectly comfortable in one of the smaller sizes.

Steven Adeff
    BPL Member

@tincanfury

Locale: Boston

I have the Losi 3P, and it's really a 4 person, for two people it's massive.

Someone said they are heavy, they are not when calculated by floor square footage, they are actually in line with the other UL tents.

So that said, if you like the Losi tents, look at the Losi 2P, it will be plenty big for two people plus gear without having to use the vestibule space.

Others have mentioned some other excellent choices. Make sure you look at their interior square footage though as this varies by model. Determine how much you actually need then go from there.

Robert Altshuler

@rclive

Eric, Its hard to tell how well the fly covers the door. Probably William is right, extrapolating from the 2P. I searched the web and could find no photos to help. In fact one thing I dont like about Nemo (there are many things to like) is that their web page simply doesnt have decent photos. They have a nice setup video, but never show the tent with the doors open or a close up of the ceiling vent etc (you cant even enlarge the photos).

Sean, Im sure that the Rainshadow 2 is a nice tent, I guess I feel more comfortable with a traditional tent.

Stephen I havent actually seen a 3P, Storm or regular, but I sat in a 2P last year and thought it was too small.

And to make things interesting, Petra Hilleberg, returned an earlier e-mail regarding the Kaitum and Nallo:
    "Usually you can fit the tents on regular camp spots – often it is even easier to fit a long and narrow tent instead of a larger rounder dome.
    On the platforms creativity helps – and often it works well since the vestibules can be pitched outside of the platform and hang over them a bit if needed."

Its always fun deciding……..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools