Topic

Sizing Puffy Jackets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sizing Puffy Jackets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm upgrading to a better jacket/parka than the one I've got. On at least 95% of the hikes I go on, I would not wear the jacket, but it'd be there if I need it. I'd carry it in my pack on day trips – hikes, snowshoes, scrambles. Once in a while I might take this on a multi-day trip.

I'm leaning towards getting a down jacket, e.g., the Western Mountaineering Flash Vest or Jacket, the MontBell Alpine Light. Something in the 8-12 ounce range seems like the sweet spot here.

My question is about sizing. I'm normally a medium with clothes (5'11", 165-170 pounds). For this type of jacket, should I get my normal size, or one size larger, e.g., a large?

This jacket would often be the last layer I add, and it would seem that in the unusual case where I actually wear the jacket, I'd already have several other layers on. So, maybe, I'd be well off with a large. On the other hand, maybe this is taken into account in the sizing, and a medium would work.

In really cold conditions I would be wearing some combination of: a base layer (probably Capilene 3), a Patagonia R2 layer, a Go-Lite Wind Shirt, a Montbell Thermawrap Parka, and a Patagucci Ascensionist jacket, a Mountain Hardwear Dome Perignon hat, and a Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch Balaclava. I would use the puffy either when stopping for a few minutes, stopping overnight, or if it was really cold. In some cases some of this stuff might be a bit wet from exertion.

Advice about sizing would be appreciated!

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Locale: Almost Yosemite

Hi Andrew,

I think the options you have named, WM Flash and Montbell, are designed more as mid-layers to use in place of fleece and therefore are cut more trim. This is partly why people say Montbell UL and Alpine jackets run small. These items are not designed to go on over everything you are wearing although you could size up and try to make it work.

What you are describing would be considered a "Belay" style jacket and would run a bit heavier. With the jackets I have experience with Montbell runs the smallest, then West. Mount. a little bigger, and then Patagonia.

Ryan

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Thanks Ryan.

The Belay jackets that I've looked at are indeed quite a bit heavier than 10-12 ounces. Patagonia's Das Parka is 26 ounces, for example (and $300).

Is there something in the 10-12 ounce range that is fitted loose enough and would otherwise make sense for use as a belay jacket?

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Hey Andrew,

Do you care about weather resistance? Do you want a hood? How cold of conditions?

Ryan

Andrew Shapira
    BPL Member

@northwesterner

Hood: yes.

Weather resistance: I don't expect to use this when it's raining and I'm moving. I might be in a makeshift shelter of some sort and want it to not do pathetically in that kind of situation. It should work in snow.

I'd like it to be fairly tough.

0 degrees and 30 mph wind seems reasonable to plan for. Remember that I'll have all the other stuff that I mentioned in the original post. I also carry a Blizzard Bag (well, I will, when it gets here) and a sleeping pad.

As I mentioned, there are two main use cases: (1) stopping for a few minutes, and (2) emergency stayover. Occasionally, I might want to wear it for an extended period of time on some really cold outing, but that is secondary to the other cases.

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

The Alpine Light Parka is a good option for you. A link to the review Alpine Light Parka

I have this jacket in an XL but wear a L in all my other clothing. My XL weighs 15.8oz in the stuff sack. I would not be able to layer this jacket over more than just a fleece layer. A large may work for you though.

You may want to consider the Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Hoody Fitz Roy Hoody

It is a little heavier, also warmer, and may work for you in a medium. They are available for $199.00 at http://www.backcountrygear.com

Ryan

Ryan Teale
    BPL Member

@monstertruck-2

Marmot has a couple options as well. These would have a roomier fit than the Montbell, similar to fit of Patagonia

Ama Dablam

Guides Down

Ryan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools