Topic

Walmart hydration bladder

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Walmart hydration bladder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

I purchased one yesterday for $9!! Made by the company Outdoor Products. Seems to be about half the weight of my Camelbak 3L. Also seems a lot flimsier. I shall report back on how it holds up.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I'd bring a back-up system. I have taken a friend hiking a few times and he always buys one. It usually last about 2 miles before it spontaneously starts leaking, one time he had one that started leaking on the drive to the trail head. I don't know why he buys the thing after 3 failures.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

" I don't know why he buys the thing after 3 failures."

No experience whatsoever with the Walmart bladder, but no, I don't get this part either.

chris kersten

@xanadu

Locale: here

I have one and it works great. I just did not like the large cap and opening. Never leaked, was very cheap, and pretty tough. The small bite valve is hard to use in the summer, but in winter, it works great. (I drink less in the winter months)

Cory Whitesell

@coryw

Locale: Midwest

I thought it was a good deal until the hose cracked open on my last trip. I bought this for my son and used it for 5-6 days before it broke. The hose developed a crack near the tip and it leaked out all over his pack overnight. I'd inspect it carefully before every use.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The small bite valve is hard to use Also seems a lot flimsier

it usually last about 2 miles before it spontaneously starts leaking

I thought it was a good deal until the hose cracked open on my last trip

Sounds like Wal-Mart. I don't know why anyone shops there unless you are looking for cheap plastic crap

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Failures aside… presumably, companies like Camelbak, MSR, Nalgene, Platypus have safety standards as well. And Walmart? Do we even know if the plastics used are "food grade" — or not?

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

"Sounds like Wal-Mart. I don't know why anyone shops there unless you are looking for cheap plastic crap"

Wally-World also sells the same carabiners BPL sells. Accounting for shipping, they sell 'em gobs cheaper, too. :)

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>Wally-World also sells the same carabiners BPL sells. Accounting for shipping, they sell 'em gobs cheaper, too. :)

Cheaper, yes. And if money is tight, then someone may have no choice but to buy from the cheapest source.

But, as long as I can afford it (and by no means am I rolling in dough) I will try to avoid the huge conglomerates and instead buy from the small guy, even if it is more expensive. I'd much rather give John Doe Tentmaker $250 than Wally World $150 for the same product.

These darned ethics keep getting in the way….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Wally-World also sells the same carabiners BPL sells.

Big whoopity do da. They sell at my corner gas station too. I'm talking "equipment". It's not cheaper if you have to/going to replace it. Just save up and buy right the first time. I certainly can't afford to buy anything twice.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There are so many political issues with Walmart that no one should even walk into one. Talk about the Evil Empire!

I don't know why someone on a tight budget would bother with a cheap bladder when you can use recycled plastic bottles for free and they are lighter as well. There are so many other ways to save money on gear too.

Jason Smith

@jasoon

I was given a couple for free. The bite valve leaks like crazy with very little use. I purchased two replacement bite valves by MSR, cut the hose and they are good as new. Don't know that I'd buy them. But I can't complain, yet.

Jarrod Handwerk

@pa_hiker

Locale: Orwigsburg PA

i have a wally world 2L bladder that …oh man at least 6 years old…i use it when i'm out on the ATV…only had one problem with it and it was something i did
    other then that it's worked fine…not the best systme in the world
    but like anything cheap it's hit or miss

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools