Topic

Hubba Hubba HP vs Scarp 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hubba Hubba HP vs Scarp 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Hello everyone, i know there has been a ton of talk lately about 2 person shelters and i apologize for another post but I am looking for the most flexible shelter for a wide variety of conditions as I am heading out on a road trip to visit some national parks and explore the world for the next couple months.

I had originally decided on the alpinlite terraform tarp and 2 person bug net, but after considering blowing desert conditions and heavy snow conditions that i will probably encounter I am leaning more towards a tent that can handle 4 season conditions. I already own and love my 9×9 oware pyramid so i am looking for something with a smaller footprint and have been really blown away by the weight and reviews of the hubba hubba hp. Should i pull the trigger? Thanks BPL!

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I owned the Scarp 2 and still have the HP. (I wrote the review for BPL.) If I had to pick a single tent for everything I would choose the Hubba Hubba HP.

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

I too would sell all my other tents and use the Hubba hubba HP if I was limited to just one tent. A well-vented double-wall tent with solid interior fabric is by far the most versatile configuration, and the HH HP is the best-executed model I've seen. The venting is clever, the tie-out options are plentiful, and it's very easy to pitch taut.

One of the biggest features for livability is the two doors and vestibules. I find that they make a big difference in maximizing space.

It also has an exceptional ratio of interior room to footprint size because of the vertical walls. That headroom really helps with feeling cramped, and it's what makes it work for 3 people in a pinch for me.

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Thanks guys, re-affirmed my thoughts!

I'm sold.

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

I got mine at E-OMC for $350, free shipping. Wait around and you might find a similar sale.

Here's the best I saw right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400146882321&rvr_id=131111738198&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WXS%3F&GUID=282fb70e1280a0265352f6a2ffe75994&itemid=400146882321&ff4=263602_263622

Report back when you've acquired and used it. Nothing wrings the bugs out like living in a tent for that length of time.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

James,

I have the Scarp 2, but have only tried the mesh inner (without fly) on an overnighter so far. It has the advantage of having both a mesh and solid inner tent (if you purchase both) for those warmer nights when more ventilation is needed.

Sa Si

@ishrimak

Hi there,

I couldn't find a lot of info about how the rev2 Scarp 2 holds up against the existing 3+ season competition (i.e. Hubba Hubba HP + some TN tents).

The Scarp 2 rev2 has been out for a while now, anybody would have a more in-depth feedback with the Scarp 2010?

Regards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools