Topic

Patagonia R1 Jacket. The hype?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia R1 Jacket. The hype?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

I've got the jacket. I like it a lot. Its relatively stylish and comfortable.

But for backpacking, I'm a little lost on its value. Wind cuts right through it. Its not terribly warm by itself. With a wind or rain jacket, it becomes much more effective.

I'm sure it wicks moisture due to its checkered powerstretch weave, but I haven't noticed anything remarkable about it.

Am I missing something? Everyone LOVES the R1 hoodie. Besides the hood and front zip, is this THAT much different? What gives?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Its relatively stylish and comfortable. I have the pullover version.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I like mine for the summer to sleep in and hang out in camp with a wind shell over. plus it`s way more breathable than an insulated jacket and lighter than a wool hoody(about 25% lighter) plus in the winter an awesome peice to wear while moving

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

I own and have extensively used both the R1 flash pullover and R1 hoody. Pretty much shoulder season/alpine/winter gear IMO. My flash sees more use than the hoody but each have their own specific strengths.

As for the full zip, I personally would not go that route. I use each as a base/midlayer and have had no use for the complete zip over years of use.

For UL BP'ing, they both *usually* aren't suiting. But for relative durability, wicking and warmth, not much compares in a major manufacturer's synthetic baselayer. The R1's have a major following amongst climbers/alpinists/mountaineers for a very good reason.

If for general 3 season BP'ing, other UL/LW options should probably suit you better. FWIW, MEC has an ~8oz wool hoody that rivals BPL in terms of price ($75), function, and esp!!! availability.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

To be frank, fleece has, IMHO, very little application in "our arena".

This is just my opinion, and I'm sure many people disagree. I don't have an R1, but I've got a MYOG pullover made from powerdry, and I've used *numerous* fleece jackets. Even at 10-15deg F, I move too hard (especially in snow), and perspire too much to need anything but wool, and as other stated, if the breeze is kicking, something to block it.

Most (if not all?) the UL down jackets are windproof. If you're moving and producing enough heat to sweat to soak that out, you likely don't need insulation, at worst, you only need something to keep out the wind.

I think it's just a classic staple of the sport, that we're remiss to let go of. Maybe I'm wrong.

Philip Maynard
    Spectator

@autoxfil

I do very little backpacking – I hike to get to climbs.

It's that sport where these pieces shine. When climbing you go super-hard for a while, then sit around belaying, or messing with gear, and then go again. These cycles of activity wreak havoc on any clothing system, and when you are covered with slings, ropes, and a harness you can't add/shed layers easily.

So, we need maximum flexibility. Fleece breathes really well, so when used under a shell you can zip the shell up and down (as far as the harness allows), and the air movement cools you down fast. Then zip it up and get warm again.

The R1 Hoody is even more alpine specific – the cuffs stay in place under ice axe leashes and big vertical reaches, and the flat, non-zip lower Cap 4 section fits flat and tight under a harness.

When UL backbacking, just bring down or synthetic insulation. For instance, my NanoPuff Hoody weighs the same as my R1 Hoody, offers much more warmth, and blocks wind and some rain. If you can take it on and off, it's great. But, if I put it under my shell like my R1 Hoody – I'd overheat while moving hard, as it doesn't vent or breathe very well.

I went to fleece exclusively after topping out on Shoestring in -10º (before windchill) temps, with 30-40mph gusts. We were working hard and sweating heavily while moving, and my Cap 3 and R2 fleece let it out. My partner was wearing a Micropuff inside his shell, and it was a frozen mess, stuck to his shell and not warm at all any more. It breathes, but not nearly as well as the fleece.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

It's two warm for all but the coldest backpacking. I use it for climbing though. It works great with my layering system. Cap 2 zip tee, R1 pullover when it's cold or the going is slow, and a puffy jacket when stopped or at camp.

The R1 hoody is pure hype in my experiences though. An R1 jacket/pullover + balaclava is much better. I like the longer length under the harness and the thumb loops are nice, but that hood sucks and I end up using a balaclava instead anyways.

Martin RJ Carpenter

@martincarpenter

Fleece surely still easily the best way to get extra warmth when active? As well as the breathability noted above its hugely more durable than synthetic insulating pieces.

Most people (if as above, not all!) will want some warmth when backpacking at colder times. Worn most of the time so weight simply not relevant.

If you're on a long trip and might need the warmth on the move some days but perhaps not others then maybe trickier but nothing obviously wrong with a light, thin fleece then. R1 jacket I guess too warm/featured etc for that sort of use though.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I just ordered mine on Monday because I thought the sale was actually going to end so I don't have mine yet. But I do have some R.5 which are similar and I plan on using the R1 in a more expanded fashion.

I can easily see it being used as my all around town jacket for when I am going to and from work or just back and forth to the car in the cold.

I am also a big guy and move pretty slow but still cover a lot of distance. I think it will make a great layering piece with the Ibex Indie Hoodie I just bought for moving in cold temperatures. And its durability means I can don't have to worry about it while moving unlike my Montbell Down Inner Jacket which really can only be used at stops.

But we shall see when it show up.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

+1 to all that was said above. I bought the R1 hoody a couple years back thinking it would be great for winter camping. It's not terrible; I wore it on two trips and the deep zip does allow for some venting. But the R1, as said, is best served for stop and start winter activities.

Last year I didn't wear the R1 hiking once, switching to the BPL Beartooth hoody for winter, layered over a Cap 2 or similar if need be for colder temps. Much better combination for my purposes.

I did find it more useful for stuff like xc sking or riding my bike in winter(worn under a wind jacket), activities where I'm working, but also self-generating wind-chil. In that case, it was nice to have bit more insulation under my wind jacket.

Live and learn.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Hey, thanks everyone for explaining what specifically the R1 excels at. This should be helpful in planning my future layering options, as well as future purchases.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I use my R1 hoodie to set up camp, break it down, as the filling in a stuff sack for a pillow and during breaks. I also used it on zero days in town. It worked well for those applications. It doesn't replace my down jacket and it doesn't prevent funk buildup like wool, but I didn't expect it to.

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Sometimes I'm in areas where I'll have a campfire at night, so a puffy is out of the question. For those trips, I can often swap out the down jacket for my R1.

The R1 gives a good amount of warmth around camp, for those times when a down jacket is overkill.

As others have said, R1 + rainshell + sleeping bag stuff sack = great pillow.

I haven't tried a heavier merino hoody or such – I have a 200wt wool pullover that I take if I want a less than the R1, but it's not nearly as warm.

As another poster mentioned, a good fleece is a classic piece of gear that I just can't get rid of completely. It's a piece that I'm comfortable taking in many scenarios, though it may not be "optimal," it is safe.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I used to take my R1 pullover as my insulating layer for 3 season use- it worked decently, after replacing it w/ a light down jacket I've never looked back- more warmth, for less weight- blocks wind better to boot

however for winter (maybe extreme shoulder season) I still find it a very useful piece as a mid layer, when moving in cold weather often my base layer isn't quite enough (even w/ a wnidshirt)- the R1 breaths well and adds the additional warmth needed-

carrying the R1 adds quite a bit of flexibility w/ layering and also lets me get by w/ a lighter insulating jacket

there are probably some climes where this piece might serve well in a three season setting (thinking maybe cool and wet, ie PNW???), but it's been relegated to a winter garment for my uses- where I'm quite happy w/ it :)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I raised the question in another way, asking about the use of mid-layer insulation, and got much the same answers.

I have a Lowe Alpine hoodie I use much the same way for camp and cold/wet layering. A light fleece hoodie with a rain shell will take you through some stinky weather. It works with my windshirt too. Comfortable for sleeping in as well. I prefer full zip layers for venting options.

The "problem" with fleece is more on the spreadsheet and thru-hiking mindset, where you are tweaking every little thing, worrying over weight, space and versatility. Go for a day hike or wet weather overnighter and fleece shows its stuff. It is available in many forms, durable, easily laundered, and there is used stuff all over the place.

I added a Power Stretch vest to my gear locker this year that works in the same niche, adding just enough extra insulation for rest stops and camp. It weighs much less than a long sleeve hoodie, packs small, and cost a lot less too. It is great under a rain shell or windshirt, giving better movement without the sleeves. Hiking in cold air with little wind, a vest allows excellent moisture venting but keeps the chill off and the full zipper allows adjustments along the way, where a windshirt is a little clammy.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Real men (scots and pnw potheads) prefer fleece for cold and wet conditions

fleece have 3 great advantages

– its very breathable, much more so than any insulated jacket … This means you can easily wear it during higher exertiob activities in the cold

– it dries very quickly … If it gets soaked just wring it out till its damp and wear or sleep with it till its dry

– its very durable … You wont see any feathers fall put if you tear it …

It also tends to be fairly cheap …. Well except for dead bird and patagucci … The beautiful thimg about fleece is that you can get one at costco that will work just as well as any of the yuppay brands

when you consider that a fleece midlayer will a few ounces for a very flexible and durable layer …. Thats a small price to pay

i wont look as cool as in my mb ex light though =P

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well I'm neither a Scot nor PNW pothead, but would like to consider myself in that group of real men :)

my ex light will likely find itself into some of my winter adventures- so I'll be a real man AND stylin' both!

I do see that Patagonia is touting some changes for the "new" R1- not exactly sure what they've changed though

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Years ago used the original R1 hoody when climbing. Loved it. I lost the hoody, picked up a replacement R1 flash (they stopped making the hoody) and then promptly stopped using it because for backpacking I typically wanted a lighter base, and for warmth I preferred a high loft fluffy vest or jacket.

A while ago Richard posted his best clothing for backpacking which got me thinking about picking up a R1 for cooler shoulder and winter trips. I have been very happy with the R1 around freezing conditions. For me, the R1 (used as base and middle layer) + a semi air permeable shell provided a great range of comfort when I was active. The open weave of the R1 means that I can vent a LOT of heat if I unzip my shell, but those voids also provide quite a bit of warmth when I stop the air flow. R1 Hoody + Rab Alpine Pullover ROCKS!

–Mark

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

+1 Mark. In cooler conditions my wife and I typically use our R1 Hoodies over a super thin merino T (about 4 oz) and under a Houdini wind jacket (3.5 oz), or in winter over a thin L/S merino base and under a Patagonia Ready Mix softshell (15 oz). It works exactly as Mark described. The zipper on the shell and if necessary also on the R1 are only temp adjustment needed.

I have tried Powerstretch – found I overheated easily in Powerstretch and found the R1 PowerDry much more comfortable.

Like the R1 material so much we use some pullovers from an outlet sale as sweaters.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Not sure if I really need one, seeing as I have a 260g merino. Thinking of using it for snowboarding under an eVent shell.

How much do does the R1 pullover go for price wise? Lowest anyone has seen?

Would it be a lot warmer than than a 260g merino icebreaker (layer over a 150g LS and SL t-shirts)? I figure they would probably breathe the same. Thinking more for warmth.. say -15 to -20*C (5 to -4*F) on the chairlift.

Thanks.

Eric?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

can't say on warmth- guess would be warmer

I just picked up one for my wife for $60, unfortunately no men's

they have them here for $83

http://www.o2gearshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&language=en&currency=USD&products_id=15510&zmam=55982562&zmas=1&zmac=13&zmap=15510

they usually have some coupon codes floating around so you can probably knock a little off of that price

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

itll likely be warmer scott … the R1 is thicker and warmer than the cap4 which is prob the equivalent to your merino

i find the grid pattern on my cap4 to be exceptional at wicking away moisture and facilitates drying …. i can just wring it out when soaked and wear it warm … the R1 has a similar grid

MEC has several R1/cap4 imitators at reasonable prices …

lighter powderdry version …

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442627307&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302888491

heavier windpro version … you wont need a windshirt wth this one …

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619455&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302698749

and there's a whole bunch of others …

for you uses scott … i think that a lightish fleece would be perfect for the temps youre looking for … i remember last year hiking to ice climbs in the rockies in -10 to -20 C weather in nothing but a light/med fleece and a windshirt … the fleece would stay on all the time of course and youd regulate the temp through zippers and a big puffay

buy from mec if you're uncertain … that way you can always return it

EB FA has a version too that i bet you can find on clearance at the EB stores after xmas

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

great piece of cold-weather kit. as other before me have said, it extremely versatile on its own with the ability to regulate temperature by adjusting the deep zipper, rolling up the sleeves or donning/doffing the hood. couple the hoodie with a wind shirt and it's like being in heaven when you are on the move and the mercury drops.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Cool, thanks I'll look into it. The high breathability is tempting. Digging yourself out after a bail in deep powder can get you sweating.

Darn, maybe I should just use what I have, but it's just so hard to resist…

For example, I already have a Westcomb Specter, and a Montane Litespeed, but I'm walking around this morning thinking I should replace them both with a TNF Triumph Anorak..

Judging from this thread, seems like the R1 is legit. Considering I'm in the PNW and quilt/insulation is all down, could provide a margin of safety.

… yes, that's it, safety. That's why I need one.

Guess it could be worse, cocaine, hookers, Remy Martin and BMWs would be more expensive.

Not sure if it's the same thing but I picked up a windproof fleece at the Westcomb sale (looked like I should be at a rave in St. Moritz) and it was horribly clammy. Warm as hell though.

Thanks again.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Scott was it a pure fleece or was a a fleece with a shell?

Keep yr spectre … Nothing breaths like event

Ur spectre, fleece hoodie and a good puffay will get u through anything between freezing and -20C imo … Base + 3 layers total … Im moving that way myself for winter

just wait for the legendary EB sale for their copies … Lol

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools