Topic

multi-use ditty-bag/daypack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) multi-use ditty-bag/daypack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Has anyone got a good UL system figured out for short side-trips on an UL backpacking trip? With my current gear list, my best option seems to be:

1) Take the sleeping bag out of its stuff sack and stuff it in my pack (inside the liner) so it doesn't blow away or get wet. Put gorp, water bottle, map, etc. in the stuff sack and carry it in my hands.

This option kind of sucks, since my hands aren't free.

Another option:

2) Same as 1, but string some cordage through the drawstring of the stuff sack so I can sling it over my shoulder.

It seems to me that the ultimate UL option would be:

3) Take a multi-use item that is both a shoulder-slung daypack (or fanny pack) and a ditty bag. My current ditty bag is a ziplock plastic bag, which is nice because it's transparent, but not suitable for this purpose.

Ideas?

-Ben

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Ben, Sea to Summit makes a new ultra light pack they call the Ultra-Sil Day Pack. 20 liters, 2.4 oz. Maybe you could stuff your sleeping bag into it, making it multi-use? I haven't actually seen one, but I bet it would work better than a Ziploc bag, and not a whole lot heavier.

Also, Marmot has their Kompressor pack, which uses 3 compression straps to cinch things down. Mine weighs 10 oz., and it works OK for short hikes or summitting.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

integral designs silcoat backpack

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=770&CFID=1711017&CFTOKEN=63456768

sea to summit packable daypack

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

use them as a stuff sack for your sleeping bag. not much weight for a second backpack in your bag.

or a zpacks zero backpack.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Hi, Gary and Robert,

Thanks for the suggestions! But I don't think I need anything anywhere near that size. I think 2 liters rather than 20 would be more like it.

Maybe I should just go with option 2, the cordage strung through the drawstring of my stuffsack. Or maybe I just need a strip of lightweight fabric to act as a comfy shoulderstrap…?

-Ben

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use the REI Flash daypack/stuffsack. It's as minimal as I want to get for a daypack.

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

I just picked up a couple Outdoor Research dry peak bagger packs. They are waterproof (for our packrafting adventures) and will double as a dry bag/compression sack for our sleeping bags/and a daypack. But they are about 1600 cu in so likely too big for your needs, but they are only 9 oz and looking at them I know you could get down to 1/2 pound without too much effort.

http://www.worldgearnet.com/outdoorresearchdrypeakbagger-s09.aspx

$33 isn't too bad either.

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

duplicate posts sorry comp acting up.

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

Sorry for the duplicate posts, comp acting up.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Ben,

Alpkit do a 3oz 3 litre dry bag that comes with a shoulder strap:

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16469&category_id=250

but the same principle could be applied to a much lighter dry bag and a length of webbing as a shoulder strap.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

oware also makes a light (2.9 oz) stuff sack/daypack- I think it's in the 900-1000 cu inch range

I have the kompresser and it's a nice little daypack, I found myself using it for more than just side trips backpacking

this might be a really good MYOG project as you can get the exact size your looking for and the material that best suits your needs

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Thanks, all, for the suggestions, but what I'm looking for is something much, much smaller than what has been suggested. All I need is about 2 liters, which is about 100 in3. I would think that something with that capacity could be under an ounce.

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

Imagine making a stuff sack, and you put 3 or 4 grossgrain loops into the bottom and top edges of the sack.

Then, you have loose cordage or webbing from which you make a suspension system "on the fly" whenever you want to use the stuff sack as a small back carry bag.

A company called Chico makes some really nice small little grocery bags that fold up into almost nothing and store in a self pouch. You might get some interesting ideas from their website.

http://www.chicobag.com/

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if your not into the diy thing (I can't sew myself)- maybe contact Lawson at mountainfitters- he might be able to do something similar to what the above poster recommended- he uses cuben, so if did come up w/ something it would be light (and water resistant)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Send me a sketch, and I'll sew it out of some sil.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

$4.70 free shipping today only . Lengthen the handles and you are done. 1 oz.
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,42194&p=62658

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Thanks, all, for the ideas, and thanks especially to Ken for his extremely kind offer to do some sewing for me!

Unfortunately I'm running out of time before leaving for the JMT tomorrow morning, so I don't think I'll be able to accomplish anything on this right away. I'm hoping that this thread will be useful to others, and that I can pick up on everyone's great suggestions when I get back.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

My SMD Comet pack scrunches up enough with the compression straps that I can use it as a daypack. That way I don't have to take anything extra.

If I were going to get a bag like you describe, I'd order one of Joe Valesko's Zero cuben fiber packs. They come in 1000, 1400 and 2000 cubic inch sizes, weight 2.0, 2.3, 2.7 oz. respectively. http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/zero.shtml

With Joe so backlogged on orders, this fall might be a good time to order for next year!

Clint N.
    Spectator

@cnewitt

Locale: Utah

Mountain Laurel Designs has a hydration sleeve that doubles as a small day pack. It's 8.5" x 16" and weighs 0.75 oz. I don't have this but would assume you could use it as a hydration sleeve in non-SMD packs.

ULA also has the Excursion Sack that is a 12L stuff sack with shoulder straps that you turn inside out to use as a pack. I know it's bigger than what you specified but it's spec'd at 1.3 oz. I recently purchased this and have used it a few times. I put clothes in it when packing and use it for day hikes from a base camp. I have been happy with it. It is bigger than needed for day hikes though, so I may look into the MLD hydration sleeve as a smaller option.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools