Topic

Tarp,groundcloth,bug net suggestions for frugal newbie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp,groundcloth,bug net suggestions for frugal newbie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Q

@japhy123

Greetings,

I am in the process of gathering some ultralight gear for a Glacier trip in August. I am a relatively new camper and would like to build a tarp setup for one person.

I am willing to sacrifice a bit on weight if it will protect me from the elements (since I am new to tarp camping) and I would like to keep my tarp, bug net, and groundcloth purchase under $200, with mixed-use ideas preferred. The products also need to be delivered within a month as I need them before August 1st (I know Mountain Laurel Design takes 6-8 weeks to get stuff out).

You all are a wealth of information so I look forward to your responses. Sizes for groundcloth/tarps are appreciated if you suggest I just go out and buy a swath of a specific material.

Thanks,

Japhy123

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

The absolute cheapest way is to make them yourself. Tarps and bug nets are particularly easy. Materials can be mail-ordered and received within a week, less if you pay a little more for 2-day delivery. Patterns are available from many places, and all probably are fine. I use Ray Jardine's patterns.

Even learning how to sew doesn't take too much time, but your timescale is somewhat tight…

Patrick Q

@japhy123

Thanks! For the time being, I'd prefer purchasing something considering my time constraints. With more time, i'll probably try to go the MYOG way.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

http://www.bearpawtents.com/at1.html

They also have bug tents if you want to use a flat tarp.

This place also have affordable bug tents that you can use under a flat tarp.
    http://www.alpinlitegear.com

It might be a little tough to keep things under $200 total if you include shipping and get a tyvek or polycro ground cloth.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

If you really want to keep it under $200, I would use gear trade. There's lots of members here that have extra gear they don't really use anymore. I'd make a WTB post for the tarp. You could probably get a good deal on a flat 8×10 silnylon tarp. Or, Oware makes one for around 102 plus shipping. If you go with a smaller sized tarp I think the price drops. You could probably get a ground cloth pretty cheap off gear trade as well. Good luck!

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

The Coghlan's bug net (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86660) is $30 and is, as far as I know, the lightest full length bug net you can buy. It doesn't have a floor, but you can get some tyvek and just tuck the netting underneath.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Scott, that bug net is a good option, but the OP should remember there's a difference between netting. This appears to be mosquito netting, not no-see-um netting. If he's anticipating the tiniest creepy crawlies and fliers, no-see-um may be better.

John Stultz

@wayoutthere

Try out Bear Paw Tents. They offer a good selection of bug tents and canopies made from silnylon. Their prices are excellent, service is great, and will do custom work at an affordable price.

Hi John

We have a hard rule that you must fully disclose any vested interest you have in any posting you make. In this case I suspect you may be the owner of Bear Paw?

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

John, you wouldn't be the same John from Bear Paw Tents, would you?

Just a friendly reminder that BPL does have a full disclosure clause if you're the proprietor or representative of a company advertising its gear.

Chris H
    BPL Member

@nxp

Locale: Upper Midwest

While certainly not as light as I'd like to be, my setup is on the frugal end and has all the requirements you're asking for.

I went with a Golite SL1 nest to do the duty of a bugnet/ground cloth (weight = 16oz, mine came in at 15.5 on my cheap scale without the stuff sack), and a Kelty Noah's Tarp 9 (29oz per manuf, haven't weighed mine).

I'm using UL throw line for cordage, and the whole kit cost me under 120$ buying everything on specials.

If I could do it over again, I'd just ask in the GS section for an 8×10 siltarp instead of the Noah's Tarp purchase to save on weight for the money. I'm not against used gear at all.

The extra room under the tarp is really nice when it's down pouring though.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

There's also the Luxe Twinpeak.

John Stultz

@wayoutthere

Sorry about that. I should have signed it as John at Bear Paw Tents.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools