Topic

Handy Portable Scale (shopping)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Handy Portable Scale (shopping)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

My local outdoor store which carries real backpacking equipment (conventional, not UL) doesn't have a scale for weighing things. The big box stores and other locations, of course, have none either.

I tried a 30 pound Berkley digital fishing scale and it doesn't do well in resolving fractions of an ounce, and often the indicator flashes up and down an ounce.

I found this item, American Weigh model SR-5 as a portable digital hanging scale which fits in a pocket and runs on 2AAA batteries. 4" x 2.3" x 0.7", 3 3/4 Oz. Hook fold up into slot on back.

SR-5 Scale 4" x 2.3" x 0.7"

It is listed as a fishing luggage scale with 11 lb capacity 0.01 lb resolution or a 5 KG .005 kg (5 gm) resolution.

Actually, it isn't exactly as described. There are two settings A) Lb-Oz and B)KG. In the Lb-Oz mode, it indicates pounds and whole ounces only – no fractions.

It turns out that if you want to weigh to .01 Lbs, you have to weigh it in KG which has a resolution of .005 Kg or 5 grams (which is 0.01 lbs), and then convert to Lbs or Oz with a calculator or multiplying it out.

http://www.americanweigh.com/product_info.php?products_id=1230

So, as a portable scale, call it a gram scale that has a resolution of 5 grams and it satisfies an Ounce Weenie, but not a full fledged gram weenie.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Useful device.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools