Topic

Everclear in PA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Everclear in PA

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Will Webster

@willweb

Not sure if this is the right forum, but it's about stove fuel so…

I'm new to lightweight and just switched from a Whisperlite to a Caldera Cone. After reading about all the toxins that can be in denatured alcohol in the US I decided to try grain alcohol (Everclear). Unfortunately my home state, Pennsylvania, has banned the stuff ever since some frat boys used it to remove themselves from the gene pool. Well, I checked around and it turns out that you can get a permit to buy Everclear as long as you promise not to drink it. For any PA residents out there, look on the PLCB web site for an application to purchase grain alcohol. When I filled it out I explained that I wanted it for a lightweight backpacking stove and that I didn't want to use methanol or denatured because of contamination concerns. Figured it was a long shot but worth a few minutes and a stamp. The next week they sent me a permit and the local Spirits Shoppe called me to ask how much I wanted them to order for me.

Just wanted to share this; I've learned a lot from BPL and maybe this can help someone else.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

thanks for that useful info.. when i read about such regulations, there are moments when i feel like i'm observing this from a distance and it all seems so surreal and absurd.

Grown people promising some abstract government agency not to drink something and then being giving a slip of paper after which they can buy something for their backpacking hobby… all because someone did something stupid with that object.

anyway, live just across the border in jersey and maybe this info will come in handy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools