Topic

Tyvek clothing vs Dri Ducks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tyvek clothing vs Dri Ducks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I see Dri Ducks at Amazon for $15. I see Tyvek at usplastics for about the same amount of money (except I can also get boot covers).

1. Is there a difference between these as rain protection? Wind protection?

2. Is one more durable than the other?

3. Breathability?

4. Would you take either of these to the Pacific Northwest if you don't plan to hike for hours in pouring rain anyway? I'd set up camp if it really came down.. I'd hike only in light rain.

Looks like more people have tried Dri Ducks than Tyvek but I'd love to hear any comparison.. not sure what to go with.

If someone can sell me tyvek boot covers (or tell me that it's commonly available at home depot / hardware stores, I might go with the Dri Ducks… need lightweight rain protection in the Adirondacks.)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dri Ducks.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

have a liner that wicks sweat better and wont feel clammy

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Just got a set of Tyvec clothing from usplastics.com. I'm hoping for wet weather soon to compare them with my Driducks. I like the Driducks well enough, but the tyvec is much lighter (and a bit flimsier, or so it seems).

The Tyvec doesn't have a hood, but I prefer tucking a large Reynolds oven bag under the brim of my cap anyway.

Anyway, I'll give them a go this weekend, and let you know how they turn out.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

If I remember correctly, tyvek isn't fully rainproof, and "breathes" relatively poorly. Driducks is 100% rainproof and has excellent breathability.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

I think I read somewhere that the Dri Ducks weigh around 12 oz for the top and bottom..

So much does the Tyvek stuff weigh? If you bought it from US Plastic, it'd be very helpful if you could also tell me which model you bought.. I see some overalls , some pants and some jackets which dont really seem to close at the neck.

Thanks!

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I'm definitely interested in hearing how the tyvek suit works… i was thoroughly underwhelmed with the dri ducks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools