Topic

BPL Bay Area Lost Coast-April ’10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports BPL Bay Area Lost Coast-April ’10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

With all the rain lately here in Far Nor-Cal we had an exceptionally nice weekend for our trip. Now raining again I will start the trip report..

On Friday I drove down to Shelter Cove to drop off the van and meet up with David L, Joshua B, Cameron K, and David's friend Greg. Piled into David's vehicle and set out on our way north to the campground at A.W. Way county park where we would meet Katharina and her friend Mike.
    A little rain and wind came but conveniently waited for us to set up our shelters. Rise and shine the next morning we set out to the Mattole trailhead to start the weekends adventure.
    Hiking under cool and cloudy skies we headed south to our first night destination some 15 miles away at Miller Flat. A short break turned into an hour as all were having a good time at the lighthouse which we had all to ourselves.
    Creeks were all flowing pretty high as it had been raining for about two weeks, not a dry foot in the group. Stopped at Cooskie Creek for lunch and a realization that I had made an error in the timing of high tide we had to push it to get past the impassable sections. We made it but not without getting at taste of the surf. Also by lunch the skies cleared up and the weather stayed absolutely beautiful for the rest of our trip. No wind! Temps into the low 70's. Some of the best weather I have encounter there, ever!
    With doing the big mileage on Saturday I regretfully did not take my camera out nearly enough so I am hoping the others will be adding their photos to this report.
    Got to Miller Flat around 6pm and it was PACKED. A busload of students from HSU were there for 8 days and took up most of the camping areas. We settled for a spot on the wrong side of the creek(wet feet first thing in the morning) and managed to find suitable accommodations for all. We spent an enjoyable evening around the fire with everyone cooking with their stoves of choice.
    I went down to the shoreline Sunday morning and on my way back to camp I spotted an insole floating downstream. Thought to myself, wow someone is going to be bummed. Looking up I noticed that the boots Mike was carrying across the creek contained only one insole. Raced down back to the waves and saw nothing. A few minutes later the ocean decided to return it to the shore where I spotted it once again. Life is good!
    With a 10 mile hike ahead of us we headed south. More creeks and wet feet, lessons were learned about footwear. Those wearing boots wished they weren't and those with trail runners were doing fine with the sometimes challenging terrain. I can hardly believe we had zero blisters or foot problems. We made Shelter Cove in time for lunch, cranking out those 10 miles in 3.5 hours almost all of it on the beach itself. I had a fabulous time hiking with a great group of people! I'll add some more info later, but it's time for dinner..004006010

Joshua Billings
    BPL Member

@joshua

Locale: Santa Cruz,Ca

We had a nice time.Thanks for organizing the trip Ken.Cameron at light house
    Cameron at the lighthouse.lost coastdrift wood shelter
    drift wood shelterhammock
    my hammock shelter at big flat;black bird and snugfit.spanish flat poppies
    Poppies at spanish flats

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Another great BPL Bay Area trip. Thanks Ken for setting it up.

Kat and Greg racing the next set..

Kat and Greg racing the next set..

Point at Lost Coast

One of many points we rounded.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nice photos. Thanks for posting.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Jealousy!!! Any one care to keep the ball rolling and go to Snow Mountain next Saturday the 24TH?

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Here are a few pictures, a bit out of order. Had a great time. A truly spectacular place and an awesome group of people. Thanks Ken and everybody else, as wellJosh, Mike and David at Mattole Trailhead

heading out

Lighthouse, where we had lunch.

We took a few trails up from the beach, much easier walking

We had gone the wrong way and decided to take a shortcut back doen to the beach

same as above

David, coming around a tricky corner

Ken, thinking about the tide coming in?

perfect weather for our hike

Katharina, not so light pack, way heavy wet boots.

a bit of rock hopping

looking back where we came from

the weather changed

this was the most tiring part for me; miles 13 to 15, choose between soft sant and rock hopping.

pictures out of order here. beautiful spot for a break

pictures out of order here. beautiful spot for a break

pretty soon I will try and follow other around a corner instead of waiting for a better break.

Ken, crossing  one of the many creeks

The last 100 yards

from left to right: David, Ken, Greg, Kat and Cameron. Missing is Mike who was taking the pic

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

This was an awesome trip, thanks to the shuttle drivers, and people who put the event together ! What a great weekend to be out on the coast !

IMG_0814

P1080004

IMG_0828

IMG_0821

IMG_0836

P1080027

P1080035

IMG_0840

IMG_0842

IMG_0843c

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Great looking photos Cameron….you really should put a gallery together of your photos in the photo section.

Wish I could have made the trip, but I did get to go with Jeremy with both our families to Henry Coe….some 20 people, half kids to Poverty Flats.

Met a fellow BPLer out there, Terri….otherwise, everyone else was traditional.

Anyway, great to hear that the trip went well and appreciate the photos.

-Tony

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools