Topic

Grand Trunk Nano-7 Hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Grand Trunk Nano-7 Hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Slept 3 nights in mine and have been very pleased. At 6.7 oz. you can't get much lighter. Even a Cuben hammock would be close to this weight, cost much more and likely would require more caution in use.

Pros: Extremely light. Packs into its attached stuff sack—very small. Even for on-the-ground campers, carrying an ultralight hammock greatly increases your campsite options– and comfort in camp.

Cons: Expensive. If your >6’ or on the chubby side it probably won’t fit you. Could be made lighter with small/titanium “S” hooks versus the large aluminum carabineers.

9/10 Update: Replaced the 23 gram (each) carabiners with L/W (7/64") Whoopie Slings and added 2 home-made Titanium "S" hooks (6 grams each!). Easier/faster/lighter than most other setups. Titanium is from a 0.156" tent stake–purchased here:
    http://www.moontrail.com/accessrs/a-stakes/titanium.html
    Note: you have to heat them to get a good bend w/o breaking.

My total hammock "kit" (hammock, two 6' whoopie slings, 2 titanium "S" hooks and 2 tree ropes) now weighs 8.6 ounces.

Jan. 2013 Update: Replaced the S hooks and tree ropes with 'Whoopie Hooks' and 7/64 Amsteel. Total hammock kit is now 8.2 oz. Note: Tree ropes this thin will damage trees w/o protection. I do this by using small pieces of dead wood arranged vertically under the rope and against the tree.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools