Topic

MSR Hubba Hubba HP Tent Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable MSR Hubba Hubba HP Tent Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

MSR Hubba Hubba HP Tent Review

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Where did the Scarp 2 weights come from? Seems like they're about a pound too heavy.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Scarp weight appears to include the crossing poles.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Interesting. Those aren't part of the standard package/configuration and the price doesn't indicate their inclusion. One of the two should be updated and a note added that they're optional but included in the comparison.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I agree, the footnoted descriptions of the listed weights (for example trail weight) would seem to indicate that the weight of the poles should not be included, since they are not required for the basic setup.

Only reason to include weight with poles would be to compare all the tents in "freestanding" mode.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

Hi guys, just found out this went up.

No I have it completely wrong. And I have no idea where it came from.

It should have been this:

Listed trail wt: 3.37 (1.53)Only total weight listed
    BPL trail wt: 3.26 (1.48)

That is what I have on my huge comparative table for all the tents in the upcoming SOTMR. I really don't know how the other numbers got there.

I have had a lot of Tarptents and have never seen one over the listed weight. All have been within an oz under, never over. My Hogback is 0.3 oz under listed.

I am sorry for the mistake, it was certainly not intentional. Thank you for bringing it to my/our attention.

Now I need to go back over hours of accumulated data…

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

OK, this was bugging me and I have been going over it.

The upcoming SOTMR looks at the Scarp in 3-season mode. In this comparison I included the crossing poles and said so in the paragraph above the table. I did this as I have had the CS and Hubba HP in winter conditions which the Scarp does as long as it has the poles.

So the numbers were right with the optional poles.

But thanks for keeping me on my toes.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for a great review.
    It only matters to a subset of users, but the color of the fly is not compatible with stealth camping, another thing for the "not so good" list.

David Ure

@familyguy

Sadly, MSR sells the Hubba HP series with a green fly and dark green floor in Europe.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

If anyone wants a green one, I'll do the shipping thing.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Nice review Ray, more keen than ever to get one for hiking with the kids.

Keep it up.

Cheers

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Rog, I am going to keep that in mind!

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Nice review, as usual, Ray. Thanks.

christopher culvern

@culcn

first off, great review. however, i was curious how you got the floor area for the big agnes. i know there are two dimensions but is this the usable floor area, or min, or max, or actual calculated area?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

For the Big Agnes floor area, when I multiply the floor length (90") by the average width (52+42/2 = 47) I get 4230 square inches which corresponds to 29.375 square feet since there are 144 square inches in a square foot.

From the looks of the article, Ray is probably doing the same math and just rounding to the nearest square foot, since all the tents floor area is only listed to the square foot.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

great review but how is it in hot and hot/humid weather?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Thank you guys (and gals),

It is calculated area, and yes I just round off to the closest sq ft. I go by their numbers to start with, checking it once I get a sample. If their numbers are wrong it gets changed and recalc’ed, which then changes all the weight/area ratios. It can be a pain. Thank goodness we don’t track volume…

I only had the tent in late fall and winter so no data for hot, humid areas, Robert. We are limited to the time we have to use an item unless we drag out the review. As we are looking at a very large amount of tents in a relatively short time (8 months) we have to work with the window we have.

That said I would “guess” that it would do well. If it were not raining I would set it up in those conditions sans fly. If raining I have to say that the ventilation scheme is as good as I have seen, but I really don’t know how it will work for you.

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Ray,
    Do you think that the Hubba Hubba HP would be significantly better in shoulder seasons than the Copper Spur UL2?

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

I have a lot of experience with the CS in winter conditions and yes, I really do think the HP is better. I was so impressed with it that I sold one of my 4-season tents and rotated this into its place. My plan is to use this for all but dead-of-winter or harsh locales (extreme winds, monster snow fall, etc).

Mike Lamper
    BPL Member

@lamper

That is very odd.

I ordered mine from http://www.cheaptents.com last April – he sent me the one he was going to use for display as I bugged him about wanting it so much.

Mine is Yellow and very bright! Looks awesome in my photos with a lantern inside.

Also, last summer I used the HP in the tarp mode with footprint and its very comfortable. The extra room you gain in the vestibules with no inner is great and gives easy access to bag and even cook inside.

For night when humidity is high I also use a TI Goat Ptarmigan bivy as a sleeping bag cover against the damp.

Works a treat!

Richard Sullivan
    BPL Member

@richard-s

Locale: Supernatural BC

My wife is threatening divorce below 65F but your ex is good down to 17F? :))

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Ha!

Now that we're not married she "needs" me to take her hiking. (She is more into biking and doesn't have BPer friends.) It works well as I get another body to test how the tent works for two and handles condensation. Win win…

She is going to help me test the SD Strike in 9 days. Thanks Jenn. ;-)

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

NEVER mix the two. To do so brings a whole new definition to the terms "spontaneous combustion" and "critical mass".

If my wife were to ever agree to my running off to the hills to share a tent (or anything else) with my ex-wife, I'd take that as prima facea evidence that my 2nd divorce was just around the corner.

You might want to rethink this one!

Mike Lamper
    BPL Member

@lamper

Did someone say "MĂ©nage Ă  trois" :)

Benjamin Brand

@stern-sirius

First of all thank's for the review!

It's interesting to compare the "Hubba Hubba HP" to the "Tarptent Scarp 2" and the "Big Sky Evolution 2P".

Which one would you choose first for mountain trips?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools