Topic

Topographic Map Software

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Topographic Map Software

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Am looking into buying some, seems very cool. What do you guys use? Pros and cons of different products? Is it as cool as it seems?

I'm sure there must be threads on this already, but equally sure I can't find them. Feel free to point me there. Already found the reader reviews of TOPO! but they're all quite old.

Thx!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It depends on what you intend to do with the software.

I've been using NG TOPO! since before it was National Geographic. They bought it from Wildflower.

The software is mostly a bunch of utilities, so the real thing to look for is the quality of the database. Somebody scanned many sections of topo maps and put together a database. I operate almost exclusively in California, so I purchased that state database. Being able to plan your mission on the computer screen is very handy. But then what do you want to do? Some people want to transfer that planned route to a GPS receiver. That is OK, except most GPS receivers have a tiny screen, so you can't see much. Some people simply want to color print out the whole map section onto paper. That makes good sense if you have a large format color printer at home. That also makes sense if there is any possibility of total battery failure or electronics failure in the receiver.

If you use the GPS receiver, you can save the "cookie crumbs" of the actual route that you took. That might be the same as the planned route, or maybe not.

I have a stack of paper USGS topo maps that I had purchased decades ago, and now I never touch them. I just do it electronically.
    –B.G.–

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

Along with Bob's suggestion, look into Garmin's free Basecamp software, and GPS File Depot maps (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all)

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Not looking for interface w/ GPS, just getting high quality topos for trip planning that I can manipulate and print. Who has the best database for that? Thx!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

+1 to Basecamp and gpsfiledepot.com

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Was just playing around w/ National Geographic Topo online, and downloaded their free software. If I'm understanding it right, you still have to buy/download two quads if the area you want is split between them. To me this totally defeats the purpose, being able to move seamlessly between quads is the whole point. Am I missing something?

Is basecamp useful sans GPS?

Justin McMinn

@akajut

Locale: Central Oklahoma

I haven't ever printed from gpsvisualizer, but when it comes to planning, my favorite is http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw/

Zoom to the area in with the "G. Map" or "G. Terrain" (Upper right corner)

Switch to "U.S./Can: MyTopo" for shaded relief maps.

Switch to the MODIS map to check daily snow coverage.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

If you don't need the fancy features, try Acme Mapper. The only feature I miss is the ability to draw a route and get mileage and an elevation profile.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

John, I don't buy or download quad maps, and I operate all over the state of California. I purchased the California set of CD-ROMs (11), and that covers the entire state for 1:24000 scale.

–B.G.–

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

So basically you can scroll uninterrupted across a 7.5' topo for all California? How big is the window you scroll in? Thx!

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

Has anyone used this to print out topo maps? I have the software and a $20 credit my girlfriend got me a while back but I have yet to actually use it to make a map.

Should I look into printing at a Kinkos or something in order to get the large format color maps?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

My PCT maps are all from Topo! and from what I see on the maps I think it does a pretty good job of formatting maps, although the resolution of the actual map leaves a little to be desired.

Kinko's is expensive. You should be able to find a local printer that will make your color maps for a fraction of the price.

Mike McHenry

@mtmche2

Eugene,

Do you actually trace the trail out onto the map, or do you just carry the topo?

I would think it would be a hassle to trace out the whole trail on a blank set of topos. Are there any types of topo maps you can load into the software that have a trail marked out on them already?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

My maps were made by someone else with Topo! I just brought the pdf maps to a printer to get my hard copy. That said, I believe the trail was created from gps bread crumbs on previous hikes. I suppose you could do the exact same thing with that gps visualizer website since the trail you're wanting to hike is probably visible from satellites, then you just save that (gpx?) file to your computer and open it with Topo!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"So basically you can scroll uninterrupted across a 7.5' topo for all California? How big is the window you scroll in? Thx!"

I'm not sure where you got that idea. Take the entire state of California and chop it up into 11 pieces. Each piece fits onto one CDR. I can start the program, look at the California overview, and then start to drill down into the correct area I'm after. The program will tell me to insert CDR #11 or something. Then I can drill down into the finely detailed areas. If I start to scroll toward the edge of #11, the program might tell me to insert #10, etc. I'm doing all of this on my home computer with a 19 inch flat panel, and the actual window takes up most of that. Sometimes I overlay my own color lines for a trail, and that may be annotated with text, elevation numbers, etc. Then I normally print that out in color on large paper. I save the file for re-use next year. I can transfer waypoint data to my GPS receiver for use there. All my GPS receiver has to do is to point me from Waypoint #1 to #2 to #3, etc.
    –B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I would think it would be a hassle to trace out the whole trail on a blank set of topos."

Yes, maybe. If you are going to travel a well-known route like the JMT, then you can probably download somebody else's route data that overlays your TOPO! map background. There is a lot of route sharing available that way.

On the other hand, if you are going to travel a poorly known route for the first time, you probably will not find anybody else's data, so you may have to trace it out by mouse. The first time I had to do that, it seemed like a hassle. But after I had done it a few times, it got very easy.

The funny thing is that my TOPO! program and California database is ancient. It says that it works on Windows 95, 98, 2000, and NT. I'm currently using it on Windows Vista.
    –B.G.–

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

If you use a mac, you can use RouteBuddy. The maps are higher quality and cheaper than NG Topo, and the maps can be transferred to an iPhone (entire states!). But there is no 3D shading.

Cory Cole
    BPL Member

@coryj

Locale: Wind River Mountains

Jon -I've been thinking about RouteBuddy – would you mind expanding a bit on its capabilities/limitations? I was curious about its ability to measure distances, elevation gain/loss, zoom in/out, etc. Would you consider it to be a fairly user friendly program? Thanks.

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I recently purchased garmin's topo US 24k west dvd, so I could print my own paper maps, as well as add the detailed maps to my gps. I have a garmin etrex venture hc. Yes this software is expensive – 129.00 – but I used my rebate from rei and the 20% discount, which made it cheap. I run this on a mac, easy to use after reading the review on rei which is more of a how to use than a review. I absolutely love this program, and I have yet to learn everything it will do. Nicely shaded 3d relief, and detail better than looking at a 7.5 min map (because of the 3d). Easy to add tracks/trails, waypoints, and plan routes; no need to swap discs, ( all of California, Oregon, Washington, and Nevada on one DVD that is downloaded on my computer). Much easier than digging through a pile of paper maps that have been folded and refolded and crammed into a pack countless times. I am happy, no more re-buying paper maps that are no longer readable, or that I lost (loaned to a friend who never returned) AND I can print only the sections I need for a trip.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Cory,

To be honest, I haven't used the desktop version of RouteBuddy either. My recommendation was based on my experience with their iPhone app, which has by far the best-scanned USGS maps of any desktop or mobile phone I've used, and the screenshots from their website.

I downloaded the demo version of the desktop, and indeed it is fast and intuitive. Unfortunately there are many missing features. You cannot draw a route; it's just waypoint-to-waypoint. But the biggest issue, which is unfortunately a deal-breaker, is the lack of any real printing function. You cannot overlay a UTM grid, it doesn't print compass info or degrees at all, and worst of all, it only prints the visible area on your screen, leaving bands of white space on the paper if you use a widescreen monitor. Obviously this was designed for road map use first. It's too bad, because in terms of fast, simple software and high quality maps, no one can beat RouteBuddy IMO. I will watch them closely for software updates.

Chris,

Garmin has a nice product; $129 for the Western states is actually a good deal. Just keep in mind that they are not official USGS topo maps. You will find much more detail on USGS topo maps than you will on Garmin maps. For example, a USGS topo map will show you water towers, mines, buildings, springs, etc. Garmin has a nice product, I just wish they would include all of these, since they can be useful in locating yourself an exploring the area.

Ken
    BPL Member

@scienceken

Locale: Western Oregon

I really like Topo! explorer. Unlike the other topo products, this one doesn't require you to insert discs for geographic areas; you buy individual USGS maps ($1 each) and then can browse them seamlessly on your computer using the software. Drawing routes will give you elevation profiles and distance.

I've been printing them on waterproof legal-sized paper with my inkjet printer.

The ability to share trips with other topo users is also nice. I'm able to search nearby trips in areas I'm looking at hiking and check out their notes and reports.

I really like this software, but haven't had any prior experience with topographic programs.

Dont Wantto

@longhiker

The USGS Map Store now allows free USGS Quad download in a couple of different formats – GeoPDF and you can use the seamless server on their website to down TIFFs. These are both scans of the paper USGS topo quads. They also have something new that's not a scan but is presently being created electronically (forget the name) but that's available only for certain areas.

Finally, the USGS website has an arrangement with some commercial company to allow a free version of their mapping program to be downloaded.

You can open several USGS maps (downloaded as above) along with other layers such as vegetation data, elevation data etc and plot routes, measure distances and make elevation profiles. The program is called Global Mapper.

In fact you can do plot routes and measure distances (but not elevation profile) on the GeoPDF itself by opening it in Adobe and using a free toolbar from Terra or some company.. all this info is on the USGS website when you download the GeoPDFs anyway.

So there you go.. free maps, free other geodata and free GPS software to manipulate it. The trial version of the software doesn't allow you to print though but you could try screen captures..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools