Topic

Fujifilm Natura Black F1.9

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Fujifilm Natura Black F1.9

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jon Solomon
    BPL Member

@areality

Locale: Lyon/Taipei

This is a specialized P&S officially sold only in Japan. Web sellers (e.g. http://www.unicircuits.com/shop/index.php?cPath=31&osCsid=650a569263565cefe00de0a7e871340b)will ship to North America and other destinations (no endorsement intended here). Fixed lens, 24mm equivalent wide angle, F1.9 aperture, designed to work best with ISO1600 film (Fuji makes a film called “Natura” to go with it). Affectionately known in Taiwan (where I bought it) as “the moonlight camera”, it takes fantastically natural looking photos in high-contrast, low-light situations (without flash). Photos of both sunsets and nighttime interiors have come out with stunning results. The images are sharp and capture with great fidelity all the color of the low-light, high-ambience moment. Barrel distortion control is pretty good, too.

Weight of the Natura Black is about 7 ounces with film. I find it takes much better pictures than the Yashica T5D (with Zeiss Tessar lens).

I will probably pair it for backpacking with the Ricoh GR-D. The Natura Black plus the GR-D together weigh about a pound (450 g), too heavy I know, but much easier to carry than other bulky cameras. Each fits easily into a separate belt pocket or jacket pocket. Together, they provide a nice complement of different styles, functions and feels.

The Fuji Natura Black also makes an great unobtrusive and silent camera for flatland, where it is ideal for street life and nighttime or indoor social gatherings. The 24mm lens puts the view right in the middle of the action. Do a search and you can easily find out more about this camera from people who know more than I. Without manual controls it probably doesn’t rate a five in some people’s books, but it really is an extremely effective camera, and a lot less money than a Contax or other high-end 35mm compact camera, with stunning results. I suppose no digital P&S model can yet touch it for what it does.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools